True American Spirit

DeadLeaf

What is your greatest adventure?  Something you plan to do..or maybe something you've done. Perhaps something impossible..but we can dream anyways. I'd really like to know what others dream.

I know my life has taken some choice turns, and it's forced me to accept what is and what is not..what will and won't be. But i continue to dream the dreams I will one day bring forward to resolve a reality. 

I've left my girl and my career..I've set my sights, and I continue to condition myself for the road ahead. It will be a journey just to plan and prepare for a whole new chapter in what is to come. 

When I am ready..I will set out on foot, up the coast of California in early spring just enjoying the beaches. By the time tourists are in full swing, i will head east to the PCT,  and trek straight through the state of Oregon. When I reach Washington in the summer, I'll visit Seattle for a short time. If I haven't been murdered by then..lol I'll make my way back down to Nevada where hopefully conditions will be just right to walk clear across Vegas at night. I'll take a bus back home for Christmas of course. But then the east will eventually call me back and I will head off again. I'm not 100% sure of what I will visit along the way..but i do know that I will visit at least one place in texas, hitch a ride down the Mississippi river, visit new Orleans, find my way to the AT at some point, SKIP PAST FLORIDA, and make my way up to the state capital and on to the big Apple.  Who knows what else I'll see on my way. All i know is that I'll be out on the road for a few years..that is my future. I hope to one day live to write a book about it. For now, I try and make progress every day to prepare for the journey.

Thanks for reading :)

-DeadLeaf 

So yesterday I sat down and went over some "what ifs"..really trying to map out a general route across the US. And this is what I came up with.. 

I've already decided my trek will take me through northern California and up through Oregon and Washington via the PCT. After a stay over in Seattle, I'll head back down through Nevada and across Vegas. I'll head home for the holidays and then it's off to Utah and Colorado. After getting my fill in Denver and Colorado springs, I'll head down through New Mexico and on to Texas towards Dallas. When they finally get sick of me in texas..I'll make my way to Louisiana where hopefully southern hospitality is still alive and well, so I can enjoy some time in New Orleans. If I'm not mistaken, i can meet up with the AT at this point and take it up through Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky (if need be), west Virginia and Virginia.  Obviously I'm not gonna go all that way and not see the state capital at some point, so I'll be sure to do my homework to make sure I can take it all in. I'll have to cross through Maryland which I look forward to, as well as Philadelphia. Most likely I'll have to brave through some parts of New Jersey on my way to New York. If I can make it this far and not feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew, i will head towards Massachusetts and Maine..two places I'd love to visit.

Now I'll spend the next year or so researching my route and destinations, making sure I know as much info to life and resources,  details and distances..as well as anything else I'll need to know along the way. 

Oh and on another note.. :) I have an interview with a state park coming up this month, to volunteer my services picking up trash, clearing trails, planting trees and touring folks through the back country. I'm excited.

Thanks for reading! 

-DeadLeaf

Two of my favorite backpacking trips were The Lost Coast of Northern California and a Rim to Rim at the Grand Canyon.  Two that I am planning for the future are the John Muir Trail and the Great Western Trail through Utah.  As all backpackers know, the planning is almost as much fun as the hike.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten over having to label any of my adventures as the greatest. I save the superlatives. Instead, I look at each one individually in the now seeing to experience each one it in its unique glory. If I didn't do that I would constantly be playing a one upmanship looking to constantly top previous adventures.

• Like 1