Hiking the Fiery Gizzard Trail

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Just the name Fiery Gizzard sounds like an adventure doesn’t it? The Cumberland Plateau is known for spectacular waterfalls, spring wildflowers, and panoramic views overlooking wild gorges extending for miles in the distance. The Fiery Gizzard Trail has a little bit of everything for the hiker or backpacker looking for a true wilderness experience any time of year. The official name of Fiery Gizzard is the Grundy Forest State Natural Area which is part of the South Cumberland State Park complex in Tennessee. Much debate surrounds the origin of the name Fiery Gizzard and some stories link the name to Davy Crockett who lived for a time in the region. I’ve come to know the area over the years because it offers a rugged beauty throughout the seasons and is less than a two-hour drive from my home. I think too that the appeal for me is that you can choose between a short two-mile hike, a 10-mile loop or a 13-mile end-to-end hike for a variety of experiences depending on the amount of time you have…

Dusty Doddridge shows off this scenic Tennessee destination in Issue 23 – Take a look at the full article below:

The Rugged Scenery of the Cumberland Plateau - Day Hiking the Fiery Gizzard

Hiking the Fiery Gizzard Trail, Tennessee

Issue 23 Page 1

• 2 years later...