Carrying a Nalgene Bottle

j608919

Does anyone have a handy way to lash a Nalgene to a backpack? Mine has a bottle pocket, but of course, it's way too small for a full-size Nalgene.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That looks like a pretty cool product... What type of backpack do you have? To be honest I think I might be more inclined to find a new pack with side pockets large enough to hold my water bottles... :)

However looks like REI offers a selection of water bottle holders that might also help:

http://www.rei.com/c/water-bottle-holders

So I'm not the only one thinking it odd a backpack web pocket won't hold a 1 liter Nalgene.

I do like the Cairn. I could see using something like that on short hike without a pack.

• 1 month later...

Have you thought of not using a Nalgene? I personally find the Nalgene's to be too bulky for my taste. Smart water bottles are lighter, slimmer, and can hold 1L of water.

Aside from re-using smart water bottles, I like using collapsible bottles, like the Platypus brand (Nalgene also makes them).

• 1 month later...
CarolinaTrecker

I normally carry a Nalgene, but I also carry an aluminum bottle, just a cheapo from wal mart, but the aluminum bottle has a large loop on the top of the screw in cap that can easily be attached via carabiner/other but is also a lot slimmer than a Nalgene but with close to the same capacity. Not to mention that you can boil water in it also. I have also heard that the flexible bottles by Platypus and Nalgene work pretty good. Just some suggestions of alternitives to Nalgenes! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have a handy way to lash a Nalgene to a backpack? Mine has a bottle pocket, but of course, it's way too small for a full-size Nalgene.

This is the best thing i've found. A little pricey but this thing keeps your water cold in the summer and keeps your water from freezing in the winter. The velcro attachment on the back is very beefy and secure and wont bang all over the place like a lot of other attachments.

I Velcro this near my waist on the lower part of my shoulder strap, so I can access it easily. I have used this while ice climbing, mountaineering and on hundreds of miles of trails while backpacking. I really don't know what I'd do without it.

You would want the #1 version for a typical 1L nalgene.

-Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka

• 4 months later...
frankpatriot

I usually carry a 1L Platypus softbottle and it fits nicely in a waterbottle pocket on my pack. the more you drink from it, the easier it fits, too. I love the OR bottle pocket. I want one.