suggestions for a multi-day pack

Kevin Walt

I'm looking for the best bang for your buck multi-day pack. I was looking into the teton sports explorer 4000 but a lot of reviews said the straps rip quite easily. Would like one that holds a tent but it's not necessary, any ideas?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Kevin, do you know what your total pack weight and what your other gear is looking like? Any particular price target you're looking to hit? I've been using a ULA Circuit for several years, it's been a great pack and is recommended for 35lbs or less: 

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

I second the ULA Circuit. Awesome pack! My Solong 6 tent goes in the back mesh pocket. Plenty of quality packs out there, just need to do your homework/research. Try some on some on at a couple different sport shops get a feel for the size you need, body wise and gear wise.

I am actually brand new to backpacking, I'm slowly gathering all the gear to take a few trips next summer. I was trying to keep the cost of my pack under $200, though it seems it might be worth the little extra for the ULA circuit. 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I'd say the Circuit is worth the investment, it will probably last many years as well. I'm currently using ULA's hybrid Cuben version ...just in case, my old one is for sale if you're looking to save some cash / if you decide to go that route and it's the right size. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

REI Flash packs are light, cheap, and comfortable. My SMD Fusion is painful at 35 lbs, but otherwise good - padding is really thin.

Buying a backpack online is a crap shoot. You can't tell if it will fit.