Osprey Manta 20

Feather

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Unfortunately no experience here Yirkl...but looks like a pretty serious pack. Personally, I'm a fan of a simple approach for daypacks...have been using something from the REI Flash series for a while. You can usually find last year's model or the current on sale with a little patience. :) I use a Flash 22, although I do wish they'd offer it in a longer torso size.

Yeah I've been using an older Camelbak MULE NV and it works well but I ran into this Osprey pack and kinda like it. I've also been looking at the Osprey Raptor 14 as well. No decisions yet though. 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Good luck with the decision - let us know how it works out if you pick one up!

Ok so I picked up the Osprey Manta 20. Its a 20L (1200 cu.in.) hydration pack with a 3 L bladder. As far as the pack itself, I really like it. Enough room for a day hike or possibly an overnighter, depending on how light you are willing to go. It has somewhat of a semi-internal frame that makes up the "trampoline" suspension system which is prob very comfortable when the pack has some weight in it but in my opinion since this pack isn't designed to carry THAT much weight, I can do without the frame. It makes the pack too rigid for my liking for a pack this small. When I throw one strap on my shoulder to carry it that way, it does not conform to my back and wants to slip off really easy (which I know its designed to be worn ON your back with BOTH straps). For a larger pack with the intentions of carrying 23-30+ lbs, this type suspension would be great. I think I'm going to attempt to remove it completely. Overall though, a great pack so far for something light.

• Like 1