Speed Hiking Jacket/Pants

Nina178

Hi at all,

I've just started with speed hiking and I'm looking for the right clothes. Do you have any experience with speed hiking and can you recommend me jackets/pants that are perfectly made for this use?

Thank you very much!!

I wear running shorts when I want to hike fast. I have a light goretex rain jacket for the rare occasions it rains in California. 

Find a local meetup group or hiking club and see what they say.

• Like 1

Hi toejam,

thank you for your reply. Can you tell me the concrete brand/model of your jacket or what was good/bad about it? There are so many jackets on the market that claim "breathable" and I just don't know which one to choose or on which details I should pay attention.

It's a Patagonia Super Cell. I think it's a good combination of light and durable, with pit zips and real Gore Tex. There's a good discussion of rain jackets in the "Let's Talk About Hardshells" thread - http://www.trailgroove.com/forums/topic/1419-lets-talk-about-hardshells/  Be sure to check the Rain Jacket Reviews link.

I think with rain jackets you should try a bunch of them on and wait for a good deal. Retail price can be crazy.

When hiking fast the key is lightweight layers you can change on the fly but don't have a lot of weight or bulk. I'm guessing you may be female, and ladies seem to have a lot of options with lightweight but warm synthetic layers (or maybe I'm just not willing to wear tights). That's why I suggest finding a meetup group or hiking club to see what works for people in your area. Here's a photo album of a hike that started on a chilly morning and went through 26 miles of rough and brushy trail in 10 hours. I wasn't wearing running shorts - those are for wide trails in good weather. You can see the kind of clothes people wore and how they adjusted the layers.

https://picasaweb.google.com/toejamhikes/EastHurricaneDeckLoop?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOT3lePfjOySEQ&feat=directlink