Hello from Utah, and looking for some advice

catagon

Hi all! 

Been hiking for a while now. I picked it up as a hobby a few years ago. I'm just wondering something. Until this past month I would have never considered hiking in cotton (blue jeans) as I find them uncomfortable and I know that they hold water like a sponge and can lead to hypothermia. I'm just curious though, as I found some new jeans that are "climbing jeans" still 99% cotton, but super flexible and seem like good for active-wear, if wearing them is safe with a water resistant base layer? I'm going hiking this weekend (in a more desert-area, Moab) and just wondering about this, or should I pack the North Face Nylon pants like normal and forget the idea?

• Premium Member

I wouldn't. Water comes not just from the outside, but from the inside as you sweat. Chafing city... ouch. Plus hiking with a water resistant outer layer leads to even more sweating, which leads to even more chafing, etc.

I usually wear cotton stuff hiking. Depends on the conditions you hike in. For me it's brushy trails that are almost always dry, so cotton makes sense. I had so many stinky polyester shirts I won't wear them anymore. Also had polyester pants that didn't breathe well and were sweaty. Whoever came up with "cotton kills" wasn't from southern California. It's one of those rules people grab onto even when they don't have a good reason.

The problem with cotton is when you get wet & cold. Wear your jeans in dry conditions and don't use a base layer that will make you sweat. If you are concerned about conditions turning wet & cold, don't wear the cotton or carry something synthetic to change into.

Most climbers seem to prefer short approaches (hikes) and climb during the day on set routes. So some tough, flexible pants make sense. Nylon pants like the ones used for hiking will get torn to shreds easier.  (Alpine climbs are another  ball of wax of course) Something like this makes sense for trailwork, too. In fact, I like polycotton blend pants for trailwork (surplus BDUs come to mind).

I think jeans are just awful for hiking..regardless of cotton. They are heavy, are usually stiff and really aren't that tough. A polycotton pair of Dickies costs $30 or less and is far more practical, comfortable and durable IMO.

I wrote this article earlier..perhaps it will be useful.

http://www.pmags.com/cotton-kills

FWIW, I hiked near Grand Junction on the CO/Utah border couple of weeks back..similar to moab.

I wore nylon pants and a long sleeve thermal top. It was cold. :) The Nylon pants were a Sierra Trading Post special . Mountain Hardware and only $30.. Tough and light. Very breathable.  Of course, I have an inseam of 30" (I'm 5'6") and it was only the short sizes on clearance . Score!!!!! :D

Edited by PaulMags
  • Like 1