Issue 39 has been released! Read online or download your own high definition copy with a Premium Membership.

Aaron

Hiking Across the Country: Lessons Learned

Aaron

In 2011, I left the corporate world and walked across the United States with my dog, Mabel. Before I left Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on March 11, 2011, the longest hike I had ever done was probably around 10 miles and involved a single night camping. I was an attorney, not a hiker. But eight months later, when Mabel and I stepped into the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, California, I was certain that I was a hiker. And a pretty successful one...

Lessons learned from Tyler Coulson's hike across the country, read the full article below in issue 4:

Hiking Across the Country: Lessons Learned

Issue 4 Page 1

Hiking Along the American Discovery Trail

Dogwood

Loved the article. It hit home. Did you follow any single track or was it more of a road walk or perhaps some uish mash combination of footpaths you decided on?

BRichard

nice.  I liked the mention of minimum footwear and focusing on strengthening your feet.  ive recently began to hike in barefoot minimum sandles, (xero) ......so far its been a fairly rough transition but I believe it to be worth it

ppine

If I ever do any long walks, I will bring my Border Collie Ruby Begonia, and a real nice donkey to carry my stuff and keep us company.  I will call him Donkey Oatey. 

Edited by ppine

jay

Donkey Oatey....oh that's too good!