recommend tour, 1st time in USA

Andras

Hello,

I am a Hungarian physicist recently working in Germany. From the 17th of April I will attend a conference in South Carolina. This is my first time in USA, and I would like to see the nature there. So I plan to visit one national park on the second week of my stay (all my collegues go to NY, etc, but i am not interested in big smelly cities). 

There are just so many options, therefore i am seeking for advice and trip ideas... I would be interested in a few day hiking and camping with pro tour guide (if some fishing is involved, even better! :) ). I am an amateur hiker, but in good physical condition (mainly doing MTB for sport, here in the Black Forest). So far i was checking tours in Yosemite and Yellowstone. Can you recommend me something? Thanks very much for help and info! :)

Yellowstone will be super-cold and snowy in early May.  Yosemite Valley should be nice and not over-crowded, though the high country will still be snowy, and the Tioga Pass road likely closed.

The deserts of southern Utah and northern Arizona can be among the nicest places at that time of year.  I'd suggest visiting some part of Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Escalante.  Moab is famous for its mountain biking, but Phil's World near Cortez, Colorado would probably be more fun.

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually after seeing some photos from the Yosemite, I cannot resist, I must see that place :)

I started to check different options for hiking, I think in two ways: staying 5-6 days in a hotel/forest lodge and hike around from morning to evening, or real hiking&camping for 3-4 nights out in the park. For the second option, since I am not a experienced hiker with camping skills, I would hire a pro guide and also rent camping/hiking gears. I try to get info and quotes from different tour companies...

I think the easiest way would be to fly to San Francisco from S. Carolina, and start the tour from there (reaching Yosemite by bus or shuttle, also included in some offered tours). I did not drive car in the last 15 years, and I feel I should not restart it in the US with a rental car, it would quickly decrease the local population :D

Could you guys recommend me some reliable tour companies offering hiking tours (either the lazy way staying in hotel/lodge overnights, or the more adventurous tent camping) with guides? The week would be the last one in April... Recently I was checking these websites:

http://www.justroughinit.com/adventures/yosemite-hiking-tours

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c191550/San-Francisco:California:Tours.To.Yosemite.National.Park.html

Thanks for the help! :)

• Like 1

While they may be cold, I am a huge fan of the Rocky Mountains.  There are a number of National Parks in Colorado you could visit, as well.  They are a sight to behold.

Yosemite is special. Some of it is thawed in May, so you can probably find several great hikes out of Yosemite Valley. The high country will be snowed in. Try to stay longer than one day. I'm not familiar with any guide services, since I'm only a half day drive away.

After checking the so many options, I think I will go for a 3 night/4 day backpacking hike in the Great Smokey Mountains, so staying at the East of USA. Also, the location (Ashville) is not far from Charleston by bus... So far this is what I have found, since I need gear and it includes meals, it looks not too bad option:

http://www.wildlandtrekking.com/great-smoky-mountains/backpacking-trips/appalachian-trail-east.html

On 2016. 01. 18. at 9:05 PM, jay said:

Sounds great!  hope you enjoy the trip.  If you need any info related to gear, this is the place to ask.

Thanks! Probably I will have a very tight schedule at the conference, it is not sure yet I can get in time to Asheville (by plane probably, well, i should restart driving for sure :) ).

Anyway, I really hope i will manage the trip, and for sure I will have some questions regarding to gear, thanks!

Hey Andres.

I live in the big smelly city you referred to. But that's ok. I would have to recommend glacier national park Montana.  I've hiked there several times. Between the glaciers  (which are shrinking daily ), the wildlife, and glacier milk lakes, I haven't seen anything more beautiful in the US. Enjoy your stay. It's a beautiful country.