Which stove?

Reflex

Hi gang,

My goal is to use stove for light backpacking and car camping with my 6 year old. Not sure which of these can handle cooking pancakes, eggs,

Trying to decide between:

Minimo Jetboil- yes heaviest and bulkiest but I dont have to buy a pot

Esbit Stove - can it cook on a bigger pan, pancakes, eggs, etc?

Ekcity Mini stove + mini butane (similar to Pocket rocket but cheaper, on Amazon) -can it cook on a bigger pan, pancakes, eggs, etc?

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ultralight-Portable-Backpacking-Ignition/dp/B00B4FY8YO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454542417&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+stove+camping

If you want one stove for backpacking and carcamping, the last stove is better choice.

Truthfully, though, I'd use the canister stove as an inexpensive, all-purpose backpacking stove, and something like a small propane stove for car camping. 

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Single-Burner-Propane-Stove/dp/B000P9GZSM/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1454559128&sr=8-40&keywords=propane+stove+one+burner

More stable than a backpacking canister stove and better for the more elaborate care camping type meals. And the fuel can be found anywhere.

The Jetboil may come with a pot, but it is really good for "boil and cook" type meals more rapidly. Esbit? Very light..but good for boiling water mainly and solo.

• Like 1

Esbit is very slow when it comes to boiling times and has low heat output. If you want to make eggs and pancakes, probably not the best choice.

• Like 1

Esbits make water warm if you are patient. Excity, Pocket Rocket, Giga Power, etc., are great burners but useless without a pot/pan, which is separate quest.

I'm a regular Jetboil guy but not a fan of the Minimo. I think the Zip & Micromo are a better setup and take less room in a pack. Jetboils come with a pot stand for using a frying pan or bigger pot. My Jetboil uses half the fuel of my Giga Power.

nathan.smith4x4

What about an alcohol stove system? It will boil my water in about 5 to 7 minutes and if your careful you can cook the eggs and all that. If i needed to some can burn wood with them as well. I have used canisters (the msr reactor and a knock off jet boil) and they are great but don't simmer very well. With wood especially, you can get the temperature just right for cooking (after some practice) real food. 

Im gonna stick to a Coleman canister that I already have (not uber ultra light but a good start) +GSI Soloist Pinnacle. :)

Thank you all !