7 day hike Southern California

Ulysses

Hello!

I live in Tijuana, México and want to do a week long hike in California probably on June/July. I was wondering if you had any suggestions regarding on what would be the best trail. I'm tempted on walking the PCT for a week or the California Coastal Trail since both of them start just across the border. 

Thank you in advance for your answers

The southern PCT could be awfully hot and dry that time of year, even the higher parts near Los Angeles.  If you don't mind driving a bit more and putting up with some mosquitos, I would look at doing something in the Sierra, where water is abundant and temperatures reasonable.  Depending on your level of experience, you could do a section of the JMT, or just start at one of the east-side trailheads with a map and a week of food, head out the nearest one when you get tired, and hitch-hike back to your car.

I don't know anything about the Coast Trail, but I lived in San Diego and Los Angeles for awhile, and I imagine you would have to at least drive north of Malibu to get away from civilization for a week.

Edited by seano
  • Like 1

The California Coastal Trail isn't really a trail, right? It was just a concept and a bunch of newspaper articles last I checked.

Seano is right - June through September you should be hiking the Sierra Nevada. It's worth a few more hours on the road. 

I know a great 7-day hike near Santa Barbara if you want to go October - May.

Cali Coastal Trail is indeed a trail with more single track in the works.  The "trail" has various characteristics to it, alternates,  some road walks or walking on jogging trails, nice single track away from roads in very scenic areas like SP's, Redwood NP,  National Seashore(s), lighthouses,  beach walks in solitude with sea stacks, etc , along bluffs, etc , etc. I'm considering thru-hiking it expecting a urban to remote hike checking out many aspects of the Cali Coast along the way. I'm considering thruing that and the Oregon Coastal Trail  in a continuous fashion. Been looking at it. I've already done some 250+ miles of the Cali Coastal Tr mainly through the Redwood SP and NP systems on single track with short road walks connecting the various sections. I enjoyed it with seeing sea lions, tidal flats, Bald Eagles, black bears, foxes, coyotes, etc and the first time I ever saw deer, actually Roosevelt Elk, on the beach.  

Here, look at the free Cali Coastal Tr maps: http://www.californiacoastaltrail.info/cms/pages/main/index.html Indeed on some nice single track.  

That's interesting. It's not a trail where I live (San Luis Obispo county - mostly roads, lots of beaches, some dangerous rocky points, and a little trespassing according to the map). It's not something anybody around here is pushing either, although there are lots of other trail projects.

My favorite local conceptual trail is the Condor Trail (http://www.condortrail.com) which also involves walking roads and trespassing. Several of my favorite local hikes, including the 7-day loop I alluded to above, are parts of the Condor Trail.

My go-to spot for a 7-day loop in the Sierra Nevada June-July is Mineral King in Sequoia NP. From San Diego it's an easier drive to get to Horseshoe Meadow out of Lone Pine or Onion Valley out of Independence, which both have lots of options for a week of backpacking in spectacular mountains.

Edited by toejam

No complaints from me Toejam. Both excellent suggestions. Ohh, how we should all be so fortunate as you. :P

Have you looked into the Big Foot Tr? http://bigfoottrail.org/

If one was ambitious enough lollipops, loops, and end to ends can be had right now with  the beta already available involving the PCT, Big Foot, and Cali Coastal Tr or extending a Big Foot thru right into a Oregon Coastal Tr Thru for a much longer multi month hike. I dreamed about this in my sleep  the other night.  

Is there trail already connecting the Condor and PCT at Tejon Ranch?...The Hardluck TH

There's not a connection between the Condor Trail & PCT. I know a local woman who researched it and thought it could be done, but included some road walking, and she had not actually hiked it last time I talked to her.

I had not heard of the Bigfoot Trail, but I love it. It goes through a lot of places I want to hike.