9 miles on North Country

Norb5150

As this trip was in the planning process we were going to trek 14 miles. We ended up going roughly 9 miles. The terrain for the portion is moderate with some steady inclines and declines throughout it. We started at Prospect road bridge where a 1.5 mile portion of a loop trail (can't remember the name of it) leads to the NCT. We went from there to Jennings Environmental Education Center. The weather was fair enough throughout the day that we actually came across other people on the trail. Some were cross country runners. Others were day hikers. I packed my Kelty RedCloud 90 at 25 pounds with water for the challenge again. For the 9 miles it is overkill so to speak in some peoples opinion. But I am preparing for long distance hikes and I want to see what adjustments I need to make. The views of Lake Arthur are impressive to say the least on this portion of the trail. ( I haven't hiked any other portion in Moraine State Park yet) and I tried to capture some of them with my phone camera. I think my next investment for backpacking is going to be a good DSLR.  I had a good time on this trail and it was well worth the 1.5 hr road trip to get there. Once we got off trail we decided to pack on some carbs at a nearby tavern in Butler called Rock Ann Haven. Good food Good Spirits and excellent customer service.

20160206_081000.jpg

20160206_081006.jpg

20160206_081010.jpg

20160206_083744.jpg

20160206_085633.jpg

20160206_094430.jpg

20160206_094457.jpg

20160206_094516.jpg

20160206_095009.jpg

20160206_100516.jpg

20160206_094942.jpg

20160206_094954.jpg

20160206_121441.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Absarokanaut said:

What a beautiful forest! Thanks for sharing.

Moraine State Park in Butler PA has a ton of outdoor activities to do. Just a short drive west on U.S 422 is McConnell's Mills State Park that offers rock climbing some seriously difficult hiking (going to hit the trail after the spring thaw) and whitewater kayaking/canoeing/rafting. Going to kayak the class 2 to 4 area as well. That general area of Pennsylvania can be considered gods country. Its part of the area that is referred to heavily as Penns  Woods.

I've done some guided hikes in both McConnels Mills and Moraine State Parks at NCTA Conferences. Very interesting hikes and our guides were members of the local Chapters. The leaders were mostly the same people who built and maintained the trails. PA is a big believer in hiking trails - they have some nice trails.

When was your hike? I don't see any snow in your pictures. Two days ago I did 8 miles (with snowshoes) on the NCT here in Michigan. 2016 is the 100 Anniversary of the National Park Service. This year NCTA and the Park Service are having a 100 Mile Challenge: hike 100 miles this year on the NCT for awards and prizes.

12 hours ago, slosteppin said:

I've done some guided hikes in both McConnels Mills and Moraine State Parks at NCTA Conferences. Very interesting hikes and our guides were members of the local Chapters. The leaders were mostly the same people who built and maintained the trails. PA is a big believer in hiking trails - they have some nice trails.

When was your hike? I don't see any snow in your pictures. Two days ago I did 8 miles (with snowshoes) on the NCT here in Michigan. 2016 is the 100 Anniversary of the National Park Service. This year NCTA and the Park Service are having a 100 Mile Challenge: hike 100 miles this year on the NCT for awards and prizes.

This past Saturday 2-6-16 is when we hiked it. There was very minimal amounts of snow in the whole region. However I'm sitting in Grove City PA right now waiting to get loaded (drive semi) and the snow is coming down good from a lake effect storm pounding the region all the way up to Erie which is where I'll be headed. Temps thus weekend are going to hinder my plans to overnight at minister creek(I don't have the gear to camp under 30 Degrees yet), but I'm still going to try to get out and hike a trail somewhere. 

On 2/9/2016 at 8:57 AM, Absarokanaut said:

AT hikers call it "Rocksylvania."

Do you know "no granola?"

"rocksylvania" that's a good one for sure. I haven't had the pleasure to hike AT yet. My work gets in the way of all the stuff I want to do. I have not heard of "no granola" I'm guessing that's someones trail name? I havent gotten a trail name yet. My CB handle in the big truck is SludgeHammer that comes from when I was in school years ago. I looked like #$^%&^# going down the road but I kept the hammer down.