footwear end of day backpacking

Reflex

Hi all \

Just curious what I can get to put on my feet end of day at camp when backpacking? I personally would need to take shoes off when at camp.

Looking at flip flops, crocs, chacos/keens (heavy), barefoot.

I assume 2 dif answers cold vs hot weather.....?

Thank you!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

After setting up camp, I just loosen the laces on my trail runners so I can use the shoes without tying and untying, and change into dry socks. Then if I need to walk around and my shoes are wet and / or dirty I'll throw some plastic bags over my socks so they stay dry and clean. I've used everything from grocery store produce bags to Subway sandwich bags to gallon Ziplocs.

Even after a day of backpacking, I seem to have dialed my shoe and sock system in enough to where I don't get that must get out of these shoes feeling, so that helps...and honestly I don't spend a lot of time in camp. Usually it's hike all day, setup camp, eat, and head to the tent / go to sleep, but even if I'm at the same spot for more than a night I'm headed out during the day and want real shoes. 

However, if I were to carry a camp shoe it would probably be these again or something similar, but I actually gave these away since the above system works so well for me:

Winter I go the same route with my lightish boots, but something like the Goosefeet down booties that I have combined with their overboots, which I do not have could be an option.

• Like 1

Looool, image of you walking around with Subway sandwhich bags! :)

Those Vibra shoes look perfect. Ill start w flip flops and then see if i need to spend though im tempted to try some sandwhich bags!/;)

Crocs, or something that looks like Crocs that were $6 at WalMart, in contrast to Vivo's $85 retail price.

In cold weather Crocs with Smartwool socks.

That advantage of Crocs over flip flops is you can wear warm socks with them. The advantage of Crocs over Vivos is you can get them on & off without using your hands.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
10 hours ago, Reflex said:

Looool, image of you walking around with Subway sandwhich bags! :)

Those Vibra shoes look perfect. Ill start w flip flops and then see if i need to spend though im tempted to try some sandwhich bags!/;)

Just in case that's clean socks --> bags --> then loosely laced shoes that are now comfortable slippers. :D But a lot of the time you might not even need the bags if your shoes are dry and clean or you're just not worried about it...it's the .2 ounce set of camp shoes! Crocs are definitely a comfortable option. If you are interested in Vivobarefoot shoes, you can usually find them on sale especially in you're not picky about color, but they definitely won't compete with the price of the Walmart Crocs that @toejam mentioned! Can't find the Ultra Pure on the U.S. Vivo site anymore (some sizes still to be found around on the web), just the Ultra II that's apparently a bit heavier in comparison, but still fairly light.

• Like 1

I used Crocs for 2 years. Then I found Vivobarefoot on sale for $45 - yes, bright red but better than full price. I got them for camp wear but I've also worn them for crossing several creeks and 2 rivers. They weigh half as much as the crocs.

• Like 1

I've always liked my moccasins for around camp. Lined ones for cooler or cold weather, unlined ones for summer. Lots of companies make them (Minnetonka is my favorite, seeing as I'm from Minnesota) and they can be found for a wide price range.

Edited by Korey

• 3 weeks later...