Need help finding a hike

katanne92813

HI,

So at the end of March I am taking a 4 - 5 day backpacking trip. The problem is I'm not really sure what trail I should take. Any suggestions? I am open to any in Northern California, Washington, or Oregon. Any favorite backpacking trails in these states you would recommend? I am wanting to do a loop trail. Any suggestions?

How far north? There are some coast hikes in CA, like Lost Coast & Point Reyes. I'm partial to Big Sur, but it's not really NoCal. Terrific in March though.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that most higher elevation areas will be under snow. I would recommend the previously mentioned Lost Coast Trail in northern california. I enjoyed the segment I  did there. The other option that I'm familiar with is the Oregon Coast Trail. Neither of these is a loop trail but the Oregon Coast would be ideal for a car shuttle arrangement. One of my favorites for an early season trip is the Lower Rogue Trail out of Galice. It's not as long as you were seeking but it is nice.   Other than that, it's a matter of waiting until later in march to see to see where the current snow level is or doing a snow camping trip, perhaps x country skis or snow shoes around Crater Lake Rim. Sometimes some of the Oregon coastal wilderness  areas will be free of  snow fairly early. I too am anxious to gey my pack on and get out there. Good luck !

As said I'd too be considering lower elev hikes at that time. You might get away with a late March North Umpqua River trail 79 miler. Oregon Coastal tr involving Boardman SP scenery is great. Cali Coastal Tr sections come to mind with emphasis on Redwood NP/SP possible loops. I'd be looking at a lower elevation coastal hike at Olympic NP too. Lost Coast Tr pt to pt or out and back  and  Pt Reyes  National Seashore loop. Blustery and rain?    There are 100's of miles of largely single track jogging trails around San Fran too.  

• 2 weeks later...