Osprey Aether 70l

JoefromKansas

JoefromKansas

Hi everyone. I went to my local REI store on Friday and was trying on a few packs. I really liked the Atmos and the Aether 70l. Because I plan on doing a lot of hiking with my kids, one of them isn't quite old enough to "carry his own load." so I plan on carrying most of his. That is the reason I tried on the Aether 70l. It felt great and I had 28 lbs stuffed in it and really felt fine. My only concern is the placement of the lid did not allow my to tilt my head up. It was tight against the back of my neck which I liked, but if I was to look up, it wasn't going to happen.

My question is, is that a big concern, if you have an Aether 70 l. is that something that bothers you or have you learned to get around that issue? 

Thanks a lot of any help, advice.

Joe 

Hi Joe, I've got the female version of that pack.  You could try adjusting the straps on the lid so that it sits further back on the pack and doesn't get in the way of your head.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I have had an Aether 70 for eight years.  Don't use it as much as I used to, as over the years my gear has gotten smaller and lighter.  Whenever I do need to carry a bigger, bulkier, or heavier load, it continues to do the job.  I have not really noticed issues with the ability to crane my neck back.  Only going by memory, but don't recall that I ever wasn't able to raise my head as much as needed?  I would still recommend this pack to anyone needing that kind of capacity--very durable, and not horribly heavy for that size pack (I believe 4lbs, 8oz)

• Like 1

JoefromKansas

Thanks! I'm going back to REI in a few days. I talked to them tonight on the phone and they suggested that if the Aether didn't work out, they highly recommend the Gregory Baltoro.