Hiking boots with good ankle support?

Lizzy

Hi all, I'm in my mid-50's and love to hike. All my life I've been prone to ankle sprains, sometimes I'll twist my ankle when I'm just walking down the sidewalk in flats! Any recommendations for hiking boots with good side-to-side ankle support? Ideally I would love something like my figure skates, which are extremely stiff on the sides but the tongue is soft enough that you can easily flex your ankle forward. I've visited a few sporting-goods stores in the area but all of the boots on display have soft sides, and they don't come up much past the ankle bone, and of course the higher they would come up, the more support they would provide. Perhaps a backpacking boot might offer more support. Unlike most people, I'm not too concerned about the weight of the boots, because I'm used to wearing my figure skates which are rather heavy. Thanks for your suggestions!!

Hi Lizzy!   I've been backpacking for about 6 years now and the best boot I've found is the Keen Targhee mid rise boot. It give me great ankle support and has a stiff sole, is very comfortable, and it's reasonably priced, too.  It's definitely not a trail runner, but it doesn't sound like you're worried about weight.  I'm actually on my second pair now - my old pair were fine, they just had a little bit of wear on the tongue and I was going on a trip with a river crossing so I picked up a new pair to ensure that they'd be waterproof.  

Keen Tarhegee.JPG

I don't think anything less than a heavy duty 8" high work boot will provide real ankle support. The 6" boots (like the Keens) seem to come up just high enough to hurt more when you twist your ankle. I mostly wear 8" boots for doing trail building and maintenance and especially for chainsaw work. I mostly wear low cut trail runners for backpacking.

I think exercises to strengthen the ankle would be more beneficial.

Consider LOWA backpacking boots. I have permanently compromised all three major ligaments in one of my ankles, and I have been happy with my current LOWA Ticam boots. I'd definitely consider changing out your insoles, my narrow foot/high arch works well with the Superfeet Green insoles.

• Like 1

That's a good suggestion, I have custom insoles for my skis so that would surely help my hiking boots too. Thank you!!

I use the Green Superfeet, too.  I have them in my hiking boots, gym shoes, and Sketcher flats.