Low Cut hiking boots

Pat

I am looking for suggestion on a 'lower cut' hiking boot.  I have a long narrow foot, very hard to fit.  My problem with hiking boots is that I like a low-cut boot (I'll be doing several weeks in a warm climate).  Every boot that i get to fit me, bruises the underside of my ankle bone. I must need a boot that is lower cut than most, or that has a very soft ridge on the upper edge. Has anyone encountered this problem? I have tried so many boots & desperately looking for suggestions. thanks!

As I wrote for the magazine, you probably should be looking for trail runners, not boots. They're cheaper and more comfortable. Some models have rubbed my ankle bones in the past, but most are both lower and softer than low-top boots. You could also try using thicker after-market insoles to raise your heels a bit.

• Like 1

A nice blend of a low-top running shoe and a boot sole is the Asolo Plasmic shoe, each shoe is about 1 oz. heavier than trail runners. The Vibram sole is stiff enough to isolate trail stones from one's foot. You'll probably still be happier adding after-market insoles to them, and get them a full size larger than your usual shoe. If your toes slide forward into that rubber tow cap, they'll scream! The toe box is roomy and off-set towards the big toe to give it plenty of room.

The Adidas Terrex Fast R is also an option. I have the 'mid' version of the Terrex (link is to the 'low' version) and prefer it to my Salomons. It's a little narrower in the sole compared to the Salomon.

There's also a Terrex X version which is a bit stiffer and wider in the sole. (Also a Swift version, which is more suited to trail running)

thank you for all the suggestions - i am looking into all of the recommended choices.  I think it may be best to switch to a trail running shoe as you all suggested.