Newbie... needing 2 sleeping bags without breaking the bank

mom3lovebugs

mom3lovebugs
1 hour ago, ppine said:

You guys have missed the point.  Bringing a down bag to the Chilkoot is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Don't do it. There is wet and then there is Alaska wet.  Bring a synthetic bag because your life may depend on it.

I am def looking for synthetic bags... what did you use on the Chilkoot?  Thanks!

As stated above I brought a Marmot down bag and it got wet. It is the only time in my life it happened.  The Chilkoot Trail is rough sob even in summer. Give it the respect it deserves. You can bring a down bag if you are careful about stuffing it in a plastic bag. Bring a pack cover.

K. Urs Grutter

Ever thought about sewing quilts yourself? Check out Ray Jardines kits, I have made two of them (one 2 person split zip, one 1 person, both two layer alpine insulation), they worked very nicely in the High Sierras (Yosemite and Whitney region) in summer 2015.

I came to appreciate qulits over bags as I sleep under a qulit all year round at home and hate to be confined to a bag when I am out.

Happy sewing and good nights!

Urs

mom3lovebugs

I ended up buying a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Spark women's bag for myself and a Eureka Silver City Series bag for my son.  Think they'll both be great! :)

• Like 2