Issue 47 has been released! Download your own high definition copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription and Membership or read online here.

Seafood on the Trail

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dogwood

• ppine

• Grey Mouse

• Aaron

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went on a sea kayak trip once in the San Juan Islands of WA.  We brought a crab trap and a fishing rod.  That was some good eating and it did not come out of a foil pouch. 

You can also steam your shrimp in Old Bay's hot seasoning and dehydrate them. Then fry up some andouille sausage and gator meat and place in a zip lock bag. In camp re-hydrate the shrimp in Crysyal's

I would like to add some ingredients to help anyone that would like to eat seafood on the trail.   Milpas Ground Shrimp  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milpas-Ground-Shrimp-2-oz/55383365?wmlspartner=

Posted Images

I used to pack crabs with the Swinomish Indians in LaConner and then drive them down to Pike Street in my VW bus.  That was a few years ago.  Then I went to grad school at UW in forestry and worked at fishermen's terminal on the commercial fleet. 

• 4 months later...
Grey Mouse

You can also steam your shrimp in Old Bay's hot seasoning and dehydrate them. Then fry up some andouille sausage and gator meat and place in a zip lock bag. In camp re-hydrate the shrimp in Crysyal's Hot Sauce or Tobasco Sauce and add them along with the gator and andouille sausage to your Zatarain's Big Easy Jambalaya (boil in bag it).

• Like 1
Grey Mouse

"someone's a Cajun"

:D Funny that you should say that. I started a roasted smoked ham hock and hog jowls stock last night. It is in a crock pot of red beans, onion, celery, bell pepper, fried andouille sausage (in bacon grease in a cast iron skillet), smoked ham cubes, Slap Your Mamma Cajun seasoning, and black pepper for supper tonight with some rice, sweet cornbread, and possibly some buttermilk. My wife won't let me put any fire into it or she won't eat it. A pound of cayenne never hurt no one <_<. Yes a good part of my family is Acadian lol

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Other day I went into REI to buy me some dehydrated gator tail. They said "we're sold out.; some guy, went by the name Grey Mouse, bought us out" ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I took a Cajun cooking class years ago.  We visited NOLA.  Wonderful cuisine. 

I grew up on Chesapeake Bay.  Then I moved to Puget Sound. 

I would rather eat things that come out of the ocean more than anything else. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...