Down Jackets

CarolinaTrecker

CarolinaTrecker

Preparing for the upcoming camping season, I've been looking into down jackets. Right now I am looking at an REI Generator down jacket. Anybody have experience with this jacket?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with this jacket but if it were me I'd keep looking just from what I see in the specs. Its kinda heavy and it looks like from your profile that you are getting into UL backpacking. I also see that you are a high school student and if you are anything like I was you probably don't have a couple hundred to drop on a really nice down jacket. If I were you I'd look over geartrade.com and the for sale section on backpacking light and hammockforums. I see a lot of jackets pop up there almost daily for a decent price. I myself would look at 800 fil jackets because you get more warmth for the weight and I also wouldnt look over synthetic. I have a montbell thermawrap I bought last year from geartrade for like $70 and that is my go to jacket for all of winter and it's only 10.1oz in xl pretty good for synthetic. I just layer with some thermals and sometimes my windshirt if it's windy and extremely cold...well extremely cold for western nc anyway. I nearly always bring thermals to sleep in anyway in winter and I never leave without my windshirt anytime but summer. So this is weight I'm already toting anyway. I also like having a modular type system for my insulation anyway so it works well for me. Anyway more than you asked for but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. Good luck.

Edited by JasonByers

CarolinaTrecker

Thanks Jason, I will check out those sights. You're right I do not have a ton of money to spend, so I love a good bargain! I started out for down because I have heard it's the lightest, but I will definitely keep an eye open for synthetics now.

Yeah synthetic has come a long way. Down is still lighter and more compressible than synthetic but the weight/warmth is getting close with synthetics like PrimaLoft which Montbell and Patagonia uses. I'm waiting on a jacket with climashield apex to come out. I'm a big fan of that. I like syntethtic because I don't seem to baby it as much as down and if i have rain in the forecast I'm not too worried about getting the jacket wet. I also sleep in my jacket in the winter and you often wake up in the morning with a little condensation on you.

I actually just checked out a jacket at REI a couple weeks ago called the Revelcloud. It's comparable to the Montbell Thermawrap in material and weight. It's actually on sale now for about a $100. I'd look at that one before you decide. But if down is what you want there are plenty sub 10oz jackets you can find pretty cheap on the sites I mentioned. Just check out some reviews before you buy. Most of the European/Japanese brands run small.

Edited by JasonByers

CarolinaTrecker

Thanks for the geartrade.com suggestion, I've been looking around and checking it out and I'm planning on trying to sell some stuff on there. I also found a great deal on a Patagonia 800 fill down sweater/hoody, 75% less than the selling price. I love bargains! Thanks again for the tip.