Help: Campsite/Trail Recommendation in the Sierras

charlie6127

charlie6127

Hi all, I am new here and looking for some suggestions...

I am planning a camping/hiking for ~25 people in the California sierras in late July/early August. This is a yearly trip for the people at my work, and by tradition the youngest member plans the trip. I have not been an avid hiker and I have only been in CA for less than a year (only SoCal), so I am kind of lost in choosing a good location. The ideal trip would be a 4 day/3 night trip (first and last day mainly travel for LA area), with two full day hikes. Our boss expects some fairly serious trails, preferrably with some significant elevation (last year they hiked to the Palisade Glaciers I am told as one of their hikes and I think they have done Mt. Whitney area before).

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions for campsites/trails...I have been told the best options would be campsites at/near the trailhead for two good hikes (10-15+ miles roundtrip). My boss is leaning toward something in the Eastern Sierras because of potential fire restrictions in the Western Sierras (though I would like to keep options open in the Western Sierras since we have the equipment to deal with fire restrictions if they become relevant).

Thank you!!!!

By law you cannot legally have a group of 25 people in the backcountry. Check the local rules for day trips. It would be best to break up the group into several smaller groups. There maybe tight places on the trail or you may run into a group of people horseback with a string of mules that may have trouble with 20 people in a tight spot.

If there are fire restrictions, they will be much more stringent on the east side of the Sierra.

Nearly any place in the Sierra will have plenty of vertical. It comes with the territory. This is especially true on the east side of the range.

Plan on hiking in the southern Sierra or half your trip will be driving time.