Backpack for my dad

RobertBP

Hi.  I am getting my dad a backpack.  He will use it every day, all day long, for urban walking.  He likes to collect a lot of stuff from things people are throwing out and from giveaways.  He's sometimes homeless.  I want to give him the best backpack for his needs.  He carries a LOT of stuff.  Internal or external?   And is there a place where you can get good value for your money because I don't have a lot of it.

Edited by RobertBP

Walmart carries some okay gear at low cost. Other than that, it depends on the stores available in your area such as Big  5 Sports. I probably woudn't invest a lot in something that may be appealing to would be thieves. Both external and internal frames have their advatages/disadvantages. You may need to take your dad with you when shopping to insure that he gets one that both fits and is comfortable for all day use. Be sure he puts some weights in the pack when trying them on to get a more realistic idea of how it will actually feel. Hopefully others will have additional advice.

Good luck in your search. You're a great son !

Thank you!  I basically want the MAX storing space possible but don't know if external or internal frame backpacks are better for that.

I've had both. Usually the internal can store more stuff inside the bag but I  also liked the external because I could attach a lot of things, especially large or weird shape stuff, to the frame. Internal would probably make more sense because you could keep every thing dry and concealed.Just look for a large pack but make sure it fits him and is comfortable for all day use otherwise he may not use it. If he can't be there to try it on be sure the store has a good return policy.

The main thing is to do your research. Amazon has many good deals plus customer reviews which are really helpful. Walmart has online deals and also customer reviews. The online REI Outlet Store (not the regular REI store) often has pretty good deals Just type in "backpacks" to see selection. If you find something you like and it has good reviews then check Ebay for a better price on that same pack. Just make sure that the seller has a retun policy if the pack doesn't work out for your dad.

I want to remind you that the best way to buy a pack is for your dad to try it on first in a store. If you find one that you want then you can check online for a better price. Otherwise you could end up paying to return a pack that you bought online that wasn't right for your dad.

Thanks again!  I would but the backpacks in the store we went to (Eastern Mountain Sports) were around $300.

You should try SteepandCheep.com 

I've bought a lot of gear from them and the discounts are in fact steep.  The only downside... shipping can take a upwards of a week.  But its worth it for the price.