9 hours Hiking backpack size?

Zen

Hi,

So I already invest in 45l backpack for weekend hikes, I will go to a trip were we will be camping and from there have a 9 hours hiking and back, I do not want to take  my 45 backpack with me for those 9 hours because sounds kind of stupid, so I´m debating myself into getting a 15l or a 22, honestly I feel I would be fine with the 15 one and I do not need the extra space of the 22, but I do not have a lot of experience in this area, so what is your opinion? I would be carrying a 2.5 - 3 water camelback no matter the size, and this will be during the summer in hot conditions. Thanks!

The answer is to put all the stuff you'll need in the 15L pack and see if it fits. I use a 18L pack for most hikes, but there's not a lot of room. I have a 22L for longer hikes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the pack.  I have a couple very nice smaller day packs, but I find my Osprey Exos 48 is more comfortable to carry.  Now on most day hikes I just remove the top lid and carry the Osprey.  Bigger or not, its more comfortable.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've found my REI Flash 22 (liters) to be about the right size daypack for me in most conditions - could often get away with less, but this seems to be a one size that will do dayhikes for me across a variety of conditions. However, I don't take an extra daypack when backpacking, and just use my normal backpack compressed down for any dayhiking from camp as needed.

• 2 months later...

My fav daypack is Marmot Kompressor Plus. It's 20 liters backpack with all the small yet important features one might need. The coolest thing is that you can actually pack into it's own pocket and put in your bigger pack - I really like this feature. It's light and has enough space to carry all your day hike gear (there is also a sleeve and a hook for your bladder) All in all it's a cool, small daypack.