UL packs and tarps

aguerra.1993

aguerra.1993

Hello everyone, I am getting deeper into UL backpacking and have decided try tarp camping and getting a new pack. My base weight is down to around 14 lbs but that's including my dslr and tripod and everything to keep me warm down to the teens. I'm looking for a pack that I could use for all seasons and possibly a bit of mountaineering. My current pack is a Deuter ACT lite 65+10 but it's huge and heavy. I've been looking at the ULA Circuit, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa, and the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest 3400. Money is a concern but I am willing to spend more for a better product. Also for tarps, any you'd recommend for a beginner? I am thinking of some sort of 8x10 like the Integral Designs one or possibly making my own. Thanks for any help and recommendations! 

Edited by aguerra.1993

I went from the same Deuter pack to a Mariposa and really like it. It carries really well with 20 pounds and is reasonable at 25 pounds, the most I have carried is probably about 28 pounds.

I have a tarp from Underground Quilts and also like it, the 12' ridgeline makes for a huge tarp, but they also do smaller ones, very good quality. http://www.undergroundquilts.com/hangers/default.html They make great quilts as well (I have 3).

I also have a tarp from OES, but there are enough reported problems with him, that I would not recommend. http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

You can find lots of info about tarps on hammockforums.net

hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

For entry into the flat or  cat cut tarp world  without breaking the bank consider the OWare Cattarp 1.5 at $115 in 30d silnylon. I suggest the extra coverage at a small wt penalty as a Newbie tarper. Experiment. Observe. Play with it under different weather scenarios. I've always been of the opinion with a really rather small wt penalty in a shelter better to have the extra coverage that also affords the possibility of pitching higher or perhaps slightly different than  the typical open ended A frame this is usually pitched. Dave has always satisfied my requests. 

I actually ended up getting a tarp from Etowah Outfitters, a flat 8x10 and a ULA Circuit. Was lucky enough to be able to visit an outfitter in eastern Tennessee that carried ULA to make sure everything fit before I ordered the color I wanted. I should Be receiving the pack tomorrow and the tarp I'm not sure yet but probably pretty soon. I can't wait to get out and use them both.

• Like 1