A long list of hikes

balzaccom

When we first got started backpacking, we simply chose a trailhead that led to a popular destination, and followed the trail to that goal. But over the years we've changed that a bit. We now worry less about a final destination, and more about areas to explore. And we worry less about staying on the trail, so that we can wander off into those areas that don't see so many people.

And we almost never stick 100% to our plan, because we know we're going to be curious about what is over that ridge, or beyond the lake.

But with all that in mind, we still have a long list of places we'd like to hike. There are quite a few day-hikes that are still on our list, waiting for an open day in our schedule when we're in that area of the mountains.

And we have a few short trips that we've been saving for a short weekend, or when we are joined by someone who doesn't want to tackle too ambitious a hike.

And then we have the medium-length trips, and the longer trips that we hope to get to some day. We took two of those this summer, one to Kings Canyon and one to Huckleberry Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness. But while we were doing those hikes, we found ourselves noticing a trail here, a lake there, and a whole other section of the valley over there. Reasons to go back, or to add a new hike to the list. 

Which is why even though we did seven trips this summer, our list keeps getting longer. 

We've got at least twenty hikes on our list, and that's just in the Sierra...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

My experience is similar - for every hike I go on two (or more) hikes seem to get added to the list. seems like there's always a new page to turn - can't complain! :)

Some of the my  most memorable "backpacking" experiences have been with no guidebook, minimal  or no gear, accept for two chosen pieces, and no trail. 

I'd be interested in starting a Blindfolded Hikers Society a mash of Dead Poet's Society, Fight Club, and Survivorman. To gain entrance into The Club, after an individual skills evaluation, you're blindfolded and left in a remote location commensurate with that evaluation, only being pre informed of the general area you will be dropped off with a 48 hr notice.  With no choreographing or Hollywood production or S&R crews standing by  and after signing waivers, because there will be mortalities,  you must find your way back to safety within 60 days.   

• 1 year later...

Ii like your post balzaccom. 

It is an acquired skill to become totally flexible and follow your heart.   I like to look at trees and wander all sorts of places without trails.  Recently I tried camping in the dry mountain range behind my house in Nevada. It has peaks near 10,000 feet but is in the rain shadow of the eastern Sierra.  It has snow on it in winter, but water has to be carried in the warmer months.  Last time out I watched a pair of prairie falcons in their mating ritual for the evening entertainment.  They carried on for 4 hours until after midnight with their acrobatic flying and diving.