Backpacking destinations for October and later

UncleWrukus

Hey guys! So I'm a first time backpacker and a long time hiking enthusiast. However, I'm migrating from day long hikes to 3-7 day national park adventures. 

I'll be leaving this next weekend (just before October) to begin my adventure. The plan is to see some country, meet some people, and maybe even get slightly better acquainted with myself. The idea is to head out and come home as the winter sort of pushes me there. Then to head back out in the spring. 

Any suggestions on a route of national parks to draw out as much time backpacking as I can before the winter becomes too much?

Pre-ty for your advice and comments! 

UncleWrukus

Edited by UncleWrukus

Don't know where you are starting from, but you can backpack in the southeast all year round. You need to be prepared for cold and wet, but the southern appalachians are beautiful in the winter.

Starting now, you could easily hike any part of the AT including the Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah, then head towards Big Bend if the mountains get too cold. I suspect that you could do something similar starting from the west coast and aim for AZ or NM.

good luck

• Like 1

Better do Yosemite quick before it gets really cold.

Winter is my busy time for backpacking in my wilderness backyard - Los Padres National Forest (unfortunately, most of Big Sur is still on fire). Google the Condor Trail. Also many places you can go in Angeles & San Bernardino NFs in warm, sunny SoCal.

Big Bend should be on your list - Big Bend Ranch State Park as well as the national park.

And southern Arizona and New Mexico are just magical. I've been high in the Lincoln & Gila NFs in the fall.

I'm heading out from Iron Mountain over Roan Highlands to make a leisurely 30 miles over 5 days down to Mountain Harbor Hostel on the Appalachian Trail. This area is always spectacular in October. The Smokies are great but will be crowded!

• 1 year later...

Depends a lot on elevation, latitude and how far you are from the ocean. 

The closest I have ever come to freezing to death was near the top of Chilkoot Pass in BC in late August. 

I really like the low desert in winter. 

Figuring out when to go where is one of the greatest challenges in going on trips year around. 

• 2 months later...