November / December Issue Released

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Issue #5 of our hiking and backpacking magazine is now available! Click the preceding link or the cover image below to take a look:

In This Issue:

It Evicts the Self: Off-trail Travel in Glacier National Park

Hiking the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness

Review: Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag

Virginia: A Hiker's Paradise

Gear Mash: Cool Gear We've Come Across This Season

Backcountry Photography Tips

Backcountry Cuisine Special Feature: Ultralight Kitchen - A Developing Passion

The Drive Home: The Extra Mile

We also have a great trail tip and more. If it's your first time viewing the magazine, we suggest starting on Page 1 for viewing tips and tricks.

If you would like to view the magazine offline or prefer a different format, a PDF is available. (10 MB)

post-3-143508713737_thumb.jpg

I finally got around to reading Issue #5. Great stuff as before, totally fantastic photos!

I especially enjoy the "Backcountry Photography" section by David M. Cobb. I really need every good idea I can get hold of to upgrade my "on the trail" photos. Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Be careful on the trails, and always have a great time. I do!

Gary M

Heck, on second thought, even more impressive than the great photo work is this issues "The Drive Home".

I didn't take my sons on the trail nearly as soon as you two (Aaron and Jen that is), so I admire your dedication. Even as walking youngsters, my two sons were a handfull. I still enjoy going back to trails and areas I used to take them, and remember the great times. Just a week or so ago I visited a small hidden pool fed by a tiny creek that I used to take them to, and they would always become a wet and muddy mess. My wife would just shake her head and say, "Boys will be boys!" All the money in the world just can't buy these kind of small things.

I hope you'll continue to introduce Weston to the outdoors. I am sure all the very hard work will pay off for you with wonderful memories!

• Premium Member

Hi Gary,

I hope that Aaron, Weston & I will enjoy hiking together as much as you have enjoyed hiking with your sons. Although there are challenges and altered expectations taking children along, there are such rewards as well. I imagine you have some fantastic memories of those times. :)

BTW - Glad you enjoyed our latest issue, and as always, thanks for your thoughts on the articles!

Take care,

Jen

• 4 years later...
Outdoorsman0827

Good issue, guys!  I just finished reading it.  I really liked the trail tip by organizing your campsite priorities.  Very smart.  It was good to read an article on the two trails in Virginia.  It's always good to read articles about hikes east of the Mississippi, considering there is a lot of favoritism for destinations in the western half of the U.S. (After all, Backpacker Magazine is located in Boulder, Colorado and you two are located in Wyoming.)  I can't thank David Cobb enough for the backcountry photography tip.  Lastly, I enjoyed reading The Drive Home.  I can't imagine taking a newborn on a 2-nigh backpacking trip....with a dog, but you and Jenn made it happen!  Love the photos!!

The Outdoorsman

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks Outdoorsman and great to hear that you found some good throwback reading, and appreciate the feedback. Will definitely keep working to mix it up on the destination front! :) 

Outdoorsman0827

Well actually, I just started reading the magazine this year, starting with the first issue.  I am up to issue #5 right now.  It might take me the rest of the year, but I will eventually catch up to the most recent issue.

The Outdoorsman