Issue 31 Released

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Issue 31 of TrailGroove Magazine is now available! Click the preceding link or the cover below to take a look:

TrailGroove Backpacking & Hiking Magazine - Issue 31.jpg

In This Issue:

Jargon: Layer (waterproofing)

Trail News

Trail Tip: Trees and Campsite Considerations

Badlands of Northern New Mexico

Hiking Goshen Prong

Exploring the Caribou Lakes

The Hunt for Owl Creek Hot Springs

Feathered Friends Egret Nano 20 Review

Gear Mash

Photo Tips from the Trail: Southern Appalachia

Homemade Energy Bars

Media: On Trails

One Last Drive Home

154 free pages dedicated to backpacking and hiking. Special thanks to all of our readers and contributors for your support and contributions towards the latest issue! If it's your first time viewing the magazine, we suggest starting on Page 1 for viewing tips and tricks. Prefer a different format or want to view the magazine offline? A PDF is also available individually or included with a premium membership. Your input is highly appreciated. Let us know what you thought about Issue 31 here on the TrailGroove Forum, or contact us anytime. Thanks for reading and keep an eye out for Issue 32, due out in January.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a bit behind on my reading, I looked over the table of contents to find my favorites.  Seeing One Last Drive Home gave me pause and had me wonder what's up.  Seeing the first photo with Kayla I immediately knew.  Aaron, my heart goes out to you on your loss of a great hiking partner.  What a life full of wonder and adventure you gave her. {sigh}

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks TollerMom. Almost 15 years was certainly a pretty good run, I think. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very nice writeup on your dog Layla, Aaron, and great photos too. So sorry to hear of her passing. 

Edited by PaulGS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading your article, One last drive home.  It was a beautifully written article, and I'm so sorry for your loss.  Losing a pet is just as devastating as losing a member of your family because pets are family. I'm glad you and Layla had so many years together.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Really appreciate the feedback and perspective Jen, thanks for reading and without a doubt, over the years they indeed do become part of the family! :)

A bit tardy on my reading also.  My sincere condolences Aaron but obviously Layla had a good life.  I've said those goodbyes to seven canines in my life to date and it doesn't get any better with practice.  My wife and I still have three, ages 12, 13.5, and 16 so there will no doubt be some more of those goodbyes in the not too distant future.  An yep, the dog packs are retired.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Many thanks grizzled, I am sure the cycle will begin again sometime soon and it's definitely part of what you sign up for. Have enjoyed reading the reports on the trips with yours over the years...funny on the packs, retired ours mid-trip nearly 10 years ago in the Winds...lightly loaded (and in more youthful days) it wasn't a physical problem at all, but you could tell she hated it more and more as the days went by. Finally on day 3 I took the dog pack off, strapped it to my pack, and carried it for the rest of the trip. Instant and marked improvement...perhaps other dogs might be different...but we never used it again. :) 

• 3 months later...

Aaron, I just read One Last Drive Home. A very belated condolences for you loss.

Your last paragraph hit home. I just got back from a too long vacation with my kids and I am ready for some quiet hiking, but I'm going to take my kids hiking tomorrow.

• Like 2