Seeking a better way to purify water

newkid

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

I used an MSR Sweetwater for many years, but in the past year or so I've switched over to a Steripen with some type of chemical (Potable Aqua, usually) treatment as a backup.

I've used a variety of filter methods over the years. Started with a First Need, then the first big Katahdin ceramic filter. Then there were several pump filters none of which lasted long. Used a Platypus Gravity system for about 2 years. Then I went to a Steripen which I quit using when I planned a trip to Isle Royale. I was told they did not recommend the Steripen because it was not gauranteed to kill one of the pests in most of the lakes. Now I'm using a Sawyer Mini set up as a gravity system. I bought several 'in line' adaptors from REI and use the hoses and 4 L dirty water Platypus from the old Gravity system. Depending on the trip I carry several different bladders for clean water.

When I get to camp the first thing I do is fill and hang up the dirty water bladder and set it to filter. By the time I have my tent or hammock set up I have clean water to drink.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a Grayl water filter for my AT trip and I really liked it.  It works like a French Press.  For a personal water filter it works great. I'll be leaving my Katadin at home from now on.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The Grayl looks pretty interesting. Did you find the volume to be a limiting factor at all or does the speed make up for it?

The speed definitely makes up for the limited volume.  Faster than any other filter I've ever used, even a Steripen.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 8:55 PM, Hiker10-42 said:

Anyone used the Katadyn BeFree filter? I was considering this for the Four Pass Loop.

Never used it myself, but Phil at sectionhiker just posted a review the other day. I like the idea of faster flow, but don't like the idea of being limited to specific bottles.

http://sectionhiker.com/katadyn-befree-water-filter-review/

• Like 1

Yea, Im not to excited about not being able to put it on different bottles, but with the flow I can just drain it into the bottles. I am more concerned about durability of the container, its pretty thin. I just love the weight :)

I started with the Hiker Pro for a few years and then moved to the Steripen. I know that it has limitations and batteries might fail or it might break so on my last 5 day hike I tried the Sawyer Squeeze system. Not much to go wrong here but wow..what a pain in having to get water into the dirty bags and then having to squeeze all of it. I'll be moving back to my Steripen unless I make another trip to Isle Royale.

• 1 month later...

I've switched over my water treatment for this year. I've bought a Katadyn BeFree water filter (no bottle) and paired it with the HydraPak Seeker 2L collapsible water container. The filter weighs 36 grams and HyraPak Seeker 67 grams, for a total of 103 grams or 3.65 ounces.

Testing out the combo, with moderate pressure, I can filter 2 litres of water in 1 minute 10 seconds, so that is sufficiently quick for me. I'm hoping to real-world test it in several weeks once more of the snow in the backcountry is gone.

• Like 1