Water purification

JasonByers

What do you guys use? I most always use aquamira drops. I premix them in a small dropper before I start out for the day. I like the weight and the ease but... My last hike the trail was a little scarce for water. A few times we found ourself digging a hole for a spring to fill then sucked it out with my buddies water filer. Just to experiment I used my snow peak 600 to scoop out the water to fill my bottle but my buddies water filter was much more efficient. Before I started out on this trip I considered a sawyer squeeze but now I don't know. Anyway I'm just curious to see what you guys are using.

Edited by JasonByers

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Jason,

I've been using the Sawyer 3 way SP122 filter, which I find works really well as long you use some type of pre-filtration method. I use it inline with a hydration reservoir on the trail, and then switch it over to gravity mode in camp. It's 2.8 oz. dry and fits in your hand - .1 micron rating. It takes longer, but Jen and I have been using it as a single solution for our group of 2 as well. If you want, you can check out our full Review of the Sawyer SP122 in Issue 3. I use the scoop method (Using my cookpot) just so I can prefilter the water easier, but where we're at our water sources are almost always from streams, rivers, & lakes where the water is usually pretty deep.

I have and use aquamarine tablets, but I have a First Need filter for car camping. I have been looking at the Sawyer Squeeze, but haven't wanted to spring the money yet. I'll check out the SP122.

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting a Sawyer Squeeze after all. I've used it on one trip so far and like it. I like that I have double use with the bags by not having to carry any back up bladders for long waterless stretches. I like that at camp I can fill these up and have plenty of camp water. Before I would cook with "dirty water" and had to bring the water up to a boil to kill the bugs it was nice to use filtered water and just warm instead of boil. That is especially handy for coffee. Its nice to be able to have instant drinking water too instead of waiting for the drops to work. The only thing I don't like is the weight. With aquamira my weight is about .5oz repackaged in smaller containers. The SS advertises 3oz with the big bag but you can't get all the water out of the filter so it really ends up being a couple oz more. Really no big deal but worth mentioning. I really like my new filter though. Thanks again to Aaron for the drawing for the gift card that I purchased this with.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

No problem Jason! Glad that the Sawyer seems to be working out well so far. The retained water weight is kind of a bummer, but even with that in mind it's still a really light filter!

I have a sawyer and I like it. When I first used it though, I had a hard time filling it by submersing it in the lake because it kept collapsing in on itself with the pressure of the water. I read (maybe on TrailGroove) that you can use a quart freezer Baggie to fill with the dirty water, then just pour into the sawyer. I also like that I can put the little sawyer in my daypack and takes up hardly any room at all.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Filling the bags can definitely be an exercise in patience depending on the water source. The baggie is a great superlight solution for sure...I've been using my cookpot to serve the same purpose while out backpacking.

• 6 months later...
frankpatriot

I've been using the Sawyer squeeze and i've been pleased with it. 3oz is pretty darn light. Bought some Aquamira drops but have yet to try them. I'm really curious about the Lifestraw. Wondering if, for a dayhike, carrying a lifestraw and just a 1L Platypus softbottle and aquamira would work (using the platypus only when i'm crossing dry areas)

• 2 months later...

I've been using the Camelbak All Clear UV system. Unlike filters, it kills everything including viruses.

Before that, I used Micropur tablets and carried two 1 litre bottles. That way I could have one being processed while I was drinking the other, and switch back and forth. Depending on water temperature, that would give me a fresh bottle every half hour. I would also carry an empty bladder and fill it overnight, adding tablets so I'd have fresh water in the next morning. I'll still do that now, even when using the All Clear.

• 2 months later...