Hello from Chicago area

Treedo

Hello.  Just wanted to say hello and let everyone know I am brand new to the world of hiking. I've done plenty of car camping but I want to venture out.  I'm sure I'll ask a few questions and look forward to the adventure!

Chris

Welcome, Chris!  I'm from the Chicago area, too.  It's always good to see another Midwesterner on the Forums.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HikerJen said:

Welcome, Chris!  I'm from the Chicago area, too.  It's always good to see another Midwesterner on the Forums.

Any good places you would recommend for 2-3 day trips since you are from the area?

Chris

For some good hiking, you could go to Turkey Run State Park and Shades State Park in Indiana.  Turkey Run has some backpacking campsites, I believe, and some cool trails with ladders.  Mississippi Palisades State Park located south of Galena, IL set against the Mississippi River has some decent trails, and a few "backcountry" campsites.  Nearby in Wisconsin, you can try Kettle Moraine State Parks (both the southern and northern unit) for some good hiking.  Each of those parks has backpacking shelters as well as regular campgrounds.  The highest elevation for hiking can be found at Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo, WI, but it's only car camping there.  If you don't mind driving 8 hours you should go to Porcupine Mountains State Park in the Michigan Upper - it's got some great long trails and you can either camp at noted sites or do you own wilderness camping.  Check out all the park websites for trail maps, and all the details.  Also, you should check out the Trip Reports and Midwest category in these Forums.  There's a lot of great information.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome Treedo! Spent some time in the Chicago area myself - there are some pretty good hiking and backpacking opportunities as long as you're willing to do a little driving and have the time. I thought the Porcupine Mountains that @HikerJen mentioned were one of my favorite reachable destinations, and the Deam Wilderness in Indiana can make for a nice weekend trip as well. Let us know how it goes!