Greetings from Great Falls, Montana

amygrisak

Hello from the perpetually breezy Great Falls, Montana! I love what this community has to offer, and hopefully I can add a few tips along the way for anyone venturing to our neck of the woods. Besides exploring the wonderful prairie trails along the Missouri River, and the often missed island mountain ranges throughout the region, we spend a lot of time on the east side of Glacier National Park.

After a winter that won’t seem to release its grip, I am chomping at the bit to be in the high country this year. At this time, I have hiking and camping trips planned for along Gibson Reservoir (on the edge of the Bob Marshall Wilderness), Granite Park Chalet, Ptarmigan Tunnel, and a whole bunch of shorter ones in and around the park, as well as the Sun River Canyon area. Until then, I suppose I’ll have to be content with exploring our area before the rattlesnakes emerge. That’s one positive aspect of the cold! Next week I'm leading a group of kids to Sulphur Springs, which is where Capt. Lewis gave Sacajawea water from these natural warm springs that supposedly cured her of her severe illness. The last time we did it (with 15 kids ranging from 2-15 years old) we had a rattlesnake on the trail. He wouldn't move, so we had to pick up the little ones and go around him. It was rather disconcerting since we had to walk through the tall grass - and you never know what might be in there - to do so. So I am happy not to have to be extra cautious for this hike. 

I hope everyone is enjoying these last days of winter. 
Cheers! Amy

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome Amy! Looks like you have some great upcoming trips in your plans. We have the same winter benefit around here, although looking forward to those benefits of spring...with an ear and eye out for the occasional rattle. Sounds like I need to look into some of those island ranges just a bit farther north!

Thanks, Aaron! Yes, the island ranges are pretty amazing. We have the Little Belts, Big Belts, and Highwoods closest to us, but I've also spent some time in the Judiths and the Bears Paw mountains. Here's a good article on them: http://bigskyjournal.com/Features/Story/montanas-island-ranges

They're a great place to be to avoid any crowds at all! 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

Welcome to the site, Amy! I live over in Hamilton (Bitterroot Valley) and do most of my hiking in western Montana and Idaho. Sounds like you've got a great hiking season lined up.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
11 hours ago, amygrisak said:

Thanks, Aaron! Yes, the island ranges are pretty amazing. We have the Little Belts, Big Belts, and Highwoods closest to us, but I've also spent some time in the Judiths and the Bears Paw mountains. Here's a good article on them: http://bigskyjournal.com/Features/Story/montanas-island-ranges

They're a great place to be to avoid any crowds at all! 

I've been able to explore a few similar areas closer to home and can agree on the solitude factor. Good to know that I can head a bit farther north if needed and / or for something a bit different! :)