Looking for a 90-100 mi hike in CA

RachelCFL

Trying to set up a backpacking trip in mid-August and I'm having some trouble finding a decent loop or thru hike without having to enter a lottery. Any ideas or suggestions for the Sierras, Sequoia or Kings Canyon? We have about 12 days to dedicate. Definitely want to see some views since I'm coming from Florida. Thanks!

Edited by RachelCFL

Consider going from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite. You'll go through a variety of terrain, with the harder and steeper trails at the end of the hike when your pack is lighter and your legs are stronger. The stretch between Sonora Pass and Yosemite (or Tuolumne Meadows) is one of the largest roadless areas in the lower 48 - truly wild country. You can resupply by hitching from Sonora Pass to northern Kennedy Meadows, or have Sonora Pass Resupply meet you at the pass with a resupply box and bear canister (required in YNP). You'll need to get a permit for YNP, but this is wild and lonely country and if you leave the PCT you will have beautiful lakes and valleys all to yourself. There are lots of trails and a variety of routes you can take, or you can just follow the PCT. There are a number of public transportation options at each end of the hike. Bring a fly rod and plenty of DEET.

Great suggestion @HappyHour.

If you are looking at hiking the John Muir Trail from either Yosemite or Mt. Whitney, there are lotteries. If you look here, there are LOTS of options.

Get familiar with your maps and read a bunch of trip reports. I'd suggest something that follows or crosses the John Muir Trails and/or High Sierra Trail. Avoid going south over Donahue Pass (in Yosemite) or Whitney Portal, and it should be easy to put together a thru or loop. I can highly recommend something from Mammoth Lakes area, North Lake/South Lake near Bishop, or Mineral King on the west side.

The trip I dream of starts at Mineral King, makes it somehow across the range to Lone Pine, where I get a shower & party, and goes back to Mineral King by a different route. You can probably use a single permit (don't tell the ranger you plan to leave the trail to party).

I never carry DEET in the Sierra in August, but just in case bring a headnet (much lighter & doesn't spill).

• Like 1