Chimney Tops trail (Smokies)

Yirkl

Has anyone heard any news on when the Chimneys trail will be re-opened? Someone at NOC in Gatlinburg told me at the beginning of this year that work on the trail hadn't started at the time. Any current info would be appreciated!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It could be years before the trail to the summit of Chimney Tops is re-opened. Since ground zero of the fire was at the summit, there was a section of the trail near the top that was completely destroyed. But with over 800 miles of trails in the Smokies, there are plenty of other hikes that are much better than Chimney Tops...IMHO  :)

Yeah very true, just wasn't sure if anyone knew of a "guessed" date. Speaking of other trails, my next one to tackle up there is LeConte via Alum Cave trail. Have you done it?

The Alum Cave Trail is great hiking but crowded. I think it would have to be 35 degrees and pouring for you to be the only person on the trail.

I hiked it in January hoping to avoid the crowds, but there were a ton of people.

Some photos and description if you are interested here http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/02/mt-leconte.html

I've hiked to LeConte about a 4 or 5 times, all via the Alum Cave Trail. It's a spectacular hike! When you do go, think about taking the side trails up to Myrtle Point or Cliff Top.  The views from these vantage points are much better than from LeConte lodge:

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/lecontealum.htm

Also, be sure to get to the parking lot early...both LeConte and Alum Cave are extremely popular hikes.

Yeah I've been doing my research and have read where those views are really good. About how long does it take to get up and back down in 1 day? Just an average? I know everyone hikes differently given distance and elevation gain. 

Looking at my blog post, I started at 10 and was at the top about 2. I took my time with my camera and the upper part of the trail was very icy and I had a pack on my back. In the summer, as a dayhike, I could probably do it in 3 hours if I wanted to hurry. Round trip, call it 7 hours with time for lunch and photos and relaxing.

Agree with wspscott on the time, but everyone is different depending on skill level and the particular conditions during the hike.  I find the best rule of thumb is to anticipate :30 minutes per mile, which includes breaks, lunch, photos and just enjoying the scenery!

That's what I was guessing too. Gonna have a 12 yo hiking buddy with though so we'll see how it goes. Was wanting to tackle it next weekend but I doubt that will happen as of right now. Hopefully soon.