Need suggestions for hike in July 2018

BigFatGuy

I have a small (24') RV.

I don't like people. :-)

My wife and I would like to find a good place to hike for our next anniversary (July 2018).

We recently did our first 12 mile hike, and survived. 6-10 miles seems to be our sweetspot right now, but we can extend that  given how long we have to prepare.

I'd like to avoid the oppressive heat and sun (and summer crowds) of my usual hiking spots in CA/NV/AZ.

Can you make any suggestions of where we might go?

Many thanks!

There are a series of trails that would work for either day-hikes or short backpacking trips on the east side of the Sierra near Yosemite.  The elevation is high enough that you wouldn't ever be too hot...at least, if you stop hiking uphill!

Destinations like Sardine Lakes, Gibbs Lake would work.  You might also look at hiking around the new access to Independence Lake, north of Tahoe. 

Farther afield, you might like at Big Basin National Park, or the Tonto National Forest out of Austin Nevada.  Those areas see relatively little traffic. 

We avoid crowds by heading off trail...but I suspect that's more than you want to tackle.

But let's be honest.  What you want is a perfect hike, with no crowds and no heat, and you want it in July.  That's a lot to ask!

If I have one piece of advice to offer the young, it's this: get married during the school year.  :-)

Your suggestions sound like excellent places to check out. Many thanks!

Canadian Rockies, specifically the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper. I'm someone who dislikes people as well so you would think I would hate this area, but it is amazing. Just avoid the town of Banff

Note that it should be the Toiyabe National Forest near Austin Nevada.  Tonto NF is outside of Phoenix....and I was somehow combining two separate trips in my mind...

• 8 months later...

There is a skill to getting away from people.  I have been working on it for over 50 years. 

Last week I was bping within an hour of my house.  We used the PCT during the week to access a beautiful and popular area. 

Then we walked through the woods without a trail for a mile.  We saw no one for several days and camped in a place that no one has probably ever camped before. 

• 4 weeks later...

Go north and try a place like Oregon.  Just stay away from the PCT and you can always find a place to camp off trail with no one around.  I like the Sisters Wilderness adn the Strawberry Mountains.