New From New Hampshire

packandpeak

packandpeak

Hey all!

Excited to find an active hiking forum and the magazine is a plus. I moved up to NH almost 2 years ago from FL with my girlfriend and our dog and I can't get enough of the mountains up here. I'm currently working my way through the NH 48 4000 footers. I'm only 13 in but plan on bagging at least 25 this year. It's a 3 hour drive to most of the 48 trailheads from where I'm at so it does take some scheduling, but I make it work. I'm also working my way through a couple other lists: Belknap 12, All NH Fire Towers (still standing and past locations).  I hope to hike the Long Trail before I move away from the NE as well. I've got some big plans! I take my dog along on as many hikes as I can when I go hiking and while my girlfriend works on Saturdays, we all get outside together on Sundays. 

That's just a little about me. Happy to be here! 

Happy Trails.

Dane H.

Falling_Waters.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
switchbackkid

Welcome dude! I just recently moved to Boise but I was looking real serious into NH for a couple months. looks like an amazing state with lush green forest! Have you thought about doing the A.T. through hike? you're in a good spot for it! I'm going to be passing through that way for a homesteading convention in October and have heard NH has the best fall colors of any state! do you have any recommendations for me as what the best hikes would be around that time?

• 1 month later...
packandpeak
On 5/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, switchbackkid said:

Welcome dude! I just recently moved to Boise but I was looking real serious into NH for a couple months. looks like an amazing state with lush green forest! Have you thought about doing the A.T. through hike? you're in a good spot for it! I'm going to be passing through that way for a homesteading convention in October and have heard NH has the best fall colors of any state! do you have any recommendations for me as what the best hikes would be around that time?

Hey @Switchbackkid,

I would love to do the AT at some point but I work in the corporate world so unless I change job any time soon then I won't have much extended time to take out of the office. I am planning on doing the Long Trail in Vermont within the next couple years which would take only 2-3 weeks.

You'll be up here during a great time. If you are looking to hit a couple 4000 footers, you can't go wrong with the Mount Lincoln (5,089 ft) and Mount Lafayette (5,260 ft). You can park across from Lafayette Place and head up the Falling Waters trail toward Little Haystack Mt., head to Lincoln, and then enjoy the unreal Franconia Ridge hike from Lincoln to Lafayette. Views all day long and that Falling Waters trails features waterfalls for the first 1.5 miles up the trail to really get you pumped for the rest of the day. The entire trip comes to just over 8 miles and features everything you could want in a NH hike. Highly recommend. The picture from my first post is from the Falling Waters Trail.

Here's the route - http://4000footers.com/hike_lafayette+linocln.shtml

If you are looking for something a little quicker and lower than 4000 feet then check out Mt. Chocorua. Peaks around 3400 feet I believe, but the last 200 yards to summit is bare rock and peaks on a huge slab of rock that offers 360 degree views. This was the view that got me hooked on hiking up here.

Shoot me a message if you are looking for someone to hit the trail with while you're up here. 420 friendly :) 

Happy Trails!

PackandPeak

Edited by packandpeak

switchbackkid
On 6/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, packandpeak said:

Hey @Switchbackkid,

I would love to do the AT at some point but I work in the corporate world so unless I change job any time soon then I won't have much extended time to take out of the office. I am planning on doing the Long Trail in Vermont within the next couple years which would take only 2-3 weeks.

You'll be up here during a great time. If you are looking to hit a couple 4000 footers, you can't go wrong with the Mount Lincoln (5,089 ft) and Mount Lafayette (5,260 ft). You can park across from Lafayette Place and head up the Falling Waters trail toward Little Haystack Mt., head to Lincoln, and then enjoy the unreal Franconia Ridge hike from Lincoln to Lafayette. Views all day long and that Falling Waters trails features waterfalls for the first 1.5 miles up the trail to really get you pumped for the rest of the day. The entire trip comes to just over 8 miles and features everything you could want in a NH hike. Highly recommend. The picture from my first post is from the Falling Waters Trail.

Here's the route - http://4000footers.com/hike_lafayette+linocln.shtml

If you are looking for something a little quicker and lower than 4000 feet then check out Mt. Chocorua. Peaks around 3400 feet I believe, but the last 200 yards to summit is bare rock and peaks on a huge slab of rock that offers 360 degree views. This was the view that got me hooked on hiking up here.

Shoot me a message if you are looking for someone to hit the trail with while you're up here. 420 friendly :) 

Happy Trails!

PackandPeak

Awesome! Thanks for all the Info! Definitely looking forward to checking it out and Ill give you a heads up for sure when Im coming through and hopefully you can meet up and show me around a few trails! looking forward to it!

• 2 months later...