Issue 40 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a Premium Membership or read online here.

jay

Weird stuff on the trail.

balzaccom

We've founds pairs of boots twice in the backcountry, each time a good day's hike from the trailhead.  IN each case just sitting out on the ground in the middle of the trail.  But we've found tons of stuff, from whole new tents carefully packed up, to a rainfly carefully draped over a rock to dry, to tons of old mining equipment and too many articles of clothing and mylar balloons to count. .

Best of all we've a few things that we've been able to use ourselves:  a nice Leki hiking pole, a very nice cook pot, two good mesh bags....all of which we added to our gear!

jay

sounds like you benefitted from others’ forgetfulness, good for you!  i would hate to be the folks that realized they left their tent after a long day on the trail.

balzaccom

I don't think any of those things were forgotten--they were abandoned.  The cook pot was left in a fire ring, and it was black as soot.  We took it home cleaned it up, and still use it as our primary cook pot.

jay

Well their loss is your gain, it seems.

Grey Mouse

A mid 30's Plymoth I believe. The road use to be above this spot and someone ran off of it, took an 80' dive, and the rest is history.

IMG_20170505_162335.jpg

IMG_20170505_162433.jpg

IMG_20170505_162355.jpg

Edited by Grey Mouse

Mickey B.

Hiking in the Smoky Mountains, there are all kinds of hidden gems...if you know where to look.  One item that I hiked to a few years ago is an old boiler engine that was used to transport logs up/down the mountainside from the Clingmans Dome area.  It's about a mile-ish off trail, but wasn't hard at all to find.  NOTE:  this isn't my pic.....I wasn't able to access mine.  

3 Boiler.JPG

• Like 1

arm2008

Found these in a mid-1950s trash pile on an old homestead site. I was amused, but when I posted to a FB group I'm part of people were freaking out about calling the cops in case someone was missing. Trash pile. 1950s. I'm not calling the cops....

teeth.jpg

jay

Oh, that's perfect!  too bad there wasn't one of those old Styrofoam head wig holders with it! :D

• Haha 1