"Into the Canyon" Documentary

GHSMITH76

I just did a blog post to recommend the documentary "Into the Canyon" that is available to watch via the National Geographic Channel. My post is titled Timely... because this is the Grand Canyon National Park's 100th Anniversary and I have an upcoming backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. 

Timely Documentary "Into the Canyon"

I have seen this.  There were some very good points raised in it, I think. I am not sure I would have approached the hike in the same way they did, in some ways, though.

Some of the developments that were being discussed in this documentary I did not agree with.  For me, wild spaces are more appreciated for the difficulty it takes to get to them and I think it adds to their longevity. Preparing for and getting into shape for a long and difficult hike helps me to appreciate it more.  Typically, the harder something to attain, the more it is appreciated.  Conversely, the easier something to attain is, the more it seems to be taken for granted, and thus despoiled.

I think some places should be left alone to be appreciated for those willing to do the work to see and appreciate them, not be reduced to a mere tourist attraction.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 4 weeks later...

GC is a special place.  I have hiked there for years but have never made it to the River.   I can recommend a raft trip to see it and the inner canyons. 

There was some talk about a development on Navajo land, but the Tribal Council woke up and nixed the idea.