Issue 42 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a Premium Membership or read online here.

JoshuaDBr

Packing Dehydrated or Freeze-dried Foods

JoshuaDBr

Dehydrated or freeze-dried food is an ideal choice for backpacking supplies. I intend to bring some food that I have dehydrated on a two-week backpacking trip, but I do not have a vacuum sealer. How long can dehydrated food last when it is not vacuum sealed? Does that differ for freeze-dried foods?

Aaron

If two weeks is the goal I think you should be very much good to go. I've had success using various dehydrated vegetables (commercially dehydrated however) for much longer periods of time, kept tightly sealed and in a cool dark place. Basically the food remained fine but I do notice that it tends to lose some of its flavor and can start to taste stale over time. Same experience with freeze dried - although I do like to use freeze dried meats a lot faster as those do seem to have a shorter shelf life once the packaging is opened in my experience before the taste starts to decline - I like to use everything within a couple weeks of opening there. 

balzaccom

I agree with Aaron.  But if you want to dehydrate some meals in advance, you can store those in sealed bags in your freezer for months.  At least we have done so with good results.