spring/summer hiking plans?

tmountainnut

tmountainnut

I figured I’d see if anyone has any specific plans for their spring and summer?

I'm going to be nursing a shoulder I just had repaired, but if it’s healthy enough for backpacking, I'm planning on backpacking the Utah highline trail during the July 4th-7th weekend, and I've got a plan for doing the John Muir Trail in August. However, both of those trips are dictated by what my doctor will allow me to do while I’m healing up.

otherwise, there’s a few smaller day hikes I'd like to do in the mountains near Denver, and if I get a three day weekend I might do the 4 pass loop near aspen.

You?

TollerMom

Hiking up the Cable's of Half Dome in July, planning on backpacking again near home in the Tahoe area (possibly by myself), wanting to get down towards the eastern sierras Tioga area...and hiking EVERY weekend.

Sorry about your shoulder...I've been doing physical therapy for a slap tear in my right shoulder. I'm ok to backpack but need assistance getting the pack on. My summer plans are to backpack at Isle Royale National Park. It's the 5th least visited National Park and in the Midwest, which is close to me. Good luck with your shoulder.

tmountainnut

Sorry about your shoulder...I've been doing physical therapy for a slap tear in my right shoulder. I'm ok to backpack but need assistance getting the pack on. My summer plans are to backpack at Isle Royale National Park. It's the 5th least visited National Park and in the Midwest, which is close to me. Good luck with your shoulder.

same here. labral or slap tear in my right shoulder.

how long ago did you have the surgery?

same here. labral or slap tear in my right shoulder.

how long ago did you have the surgery?

No surgery yet, but I'm probably headed in that direction in the future. PT just isn't helping, and there's only so much meds and cortisone shots the Dr. will give me. The problem is finding the time!

• 2 weeks later...
My summer plans are to backpack at Isle Royale National Park. It's the 5th least visited National Park and in the Midwest, which is close to me
Isle Royale is on my radar as well. I don't have any definitive dates yet. I just did the western portion of the Quehanna Trail last week. Had a blast even though it rained constantly. My next trip will be the water trail down the Allegheny, camping the islands with the kids.

• 10 months later...
Wood Violet

Currently planning a camping trip that starts in Rocky Mountain National Park where I hope to hike Flattop Mountain and Hallet Peak. Will see though, as we are from WI and may not adjust to the altitude? Will be attempting the hike on our third day in CO and second day at the campground. Then going to Dead Horse Point State Park and the Arches in Utah. Camping at the State Park and driving to and from the Arches as needed for two days. Then driving through Valley of the Gods and Goosenecks State Park, Monument Valley and the Four Corners. Just driving through these, but hiking in Mesa Verde National Park to see the cliff dwellings. Not sure if we'll stay more than one overnight at the campground or not. Then on to Telluride to ride the Gondola and overnight at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Will hike some of the South rim. Finally, if all goes well, we finish in Fairplay, visiting the South Park City museum and then down to the Royal Gorge Toll Bridge for a quick gander before the long drive home. (Only one night, the first, is planned at a motel in Sterling, since we are novices and don't want to put a tent up in the dark.) Considering taking a backup tent in case we run into any sort of problems? Seems better than more motels. Have this thing about other folks' bed germs, etc.

Plans so far for this year: three day backpack and climb in the Rawah wilderness (this area is north of rocky mtn national park and west of fort Collins, co) over Memorial Day--take advantage of the holiday weekend. Expect to see many moose in this area! Doing the maroon bells four pass loop (3rd time for me) July 3-6, week long back pack in Aaron's backyard (wind river mountains of Wyoming) August 30-September 6. 3 day trip t climb Clark peak, Mt Daly, and point 13,106 also in July. I'm sure I will fill in a few other trips also.

My big high adventure trip this year is 10 days in Yosemite starting with a hike from the valley up the Yosemite Falls trail to the rim - a solid 3000 foot ascent. Also planning on hiking along Cloud's Rest and Half Dome )provided we can get the permits). Leading up to Yosemite, I've got shakedown trips at Turkey Run in Indiana, Devil's Lake in WI, and Warren Dunes in MI. After Yosemite, I'm planning on a long weekend at the Porcupine Mountain in Upper MI. Whew - I'm tired just typing this! So happy that the warmer weather is coming!

I have several backpacking trips planned in the Canadian Rockies this year. My big one is to hike into Mount Assiniboine in early July. For August I plan to go to Kootenay National Park and in September to Lake Agnes in Yoho National Park. It's been a very long winter here so I can't wait to get out.