20 Lakes Basin

TollerMom

I ventured out on my second-ever backpack trip to 20 Lakes Basin off Tioga Pass in the Sierra. This was a stunning location--the name tells it all. The elevation when you arrive is already at over 10,000 feet, so there wasn't much more vertical feet we had to climb. The entrance to the basin is at Saddlebag Lake. There is a little 'resort' there and a campground. The 'resort' hosts a store/diner and a reasonably priced boat taxi. We decided to take the taxi over with our gear. Once we arrived across the lake, we hiked up into the Hoover Wilderness in search of a good camp spot. My goodness, in a five mile loop around the basin, there are more than 20 alpine lakes. We chose a spot not more than a couple miles in on a ridge between Steelhead and little Steelhead lakes. This was by far the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I know my pictures don't do it justice.

post-98-143508714887_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508714892_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508714906_thumb.jpg

post-98-14350871492_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508714933_thumb.jpg

post-98-14350871494_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508714946_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508714959_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Great pictures and looks like an amazing place, hope the trip turned out as well as the photos!

if you look closely at the 7th picture, you can see our two tents (a yellow one and a grey one) looking like so tiny in the universe. It only took us a couple hours to drive there from home. A bonus to his area is the Whoa Nelly deli - the famous Mobile gas station that serves incredible food, is located at the foot of Tioga Pass.

• 1 year later...

Every time I see pics of those gorgeous Sierra bodies of water I want to reread that "A Season with Tenkara" thread which nicely embodies my feelings too.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a mine dump to the right of the tents?

Yes, It's the Hess Mine, which operated as a tungsten mine until 1962. Not much to see though but a hole scratched into the hillside anymore.