Gossamer Gear Kumo Superlight Backpack

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

New backpack from Gossamer Gear - The Kumo. 36L total capacity, Dyneema, frameless, but with a pad pocket for a Sitlight pad. (Included) Suggested load range 20-25lbs. Listed at 14.3 oz without the pad (+1.5oz) for $164.95...Thoughts?

Gossamer Gear Kumo

post-3-143508712137_thumb.jpg

jeepingetowah

Very nice... I love the style and custom stitching. I did the zipper pocket on the top also. The idea of switching to a frameless pack is a bit of a stretch for me. But I dig the looks.

Wallace - Supa Chef

Hike, Bike, Dale!

• Premium Member

I agree with Wallace -that is a nice looking pack! Not sure how it would hold up to a 25 pound load without a frame/stay though. Curious to see any reviews that come out for it....

After carrying my (8.6 oz) cuben fiber ZPacks Blast 30 pack for a little while I imagine that this pack will easily be able to hold up to a 25 lb load when using a sleeping pad as support, but not sure how comfy it will be from one person to the next. (The Kumo is made of dyneema, so it is a serious pack for sure!) I have carried up to 21-22 lbs in my Blast 30 so far, and after a 16 mile day my shoulders were a little sore, but not bad. The next morning I was completely fine.

I would say that the Kumo is simply a beefier version of the new Murmur. They are both the same size (2,200 cu in - 36L), and they both have the same suggested 20 lb max weight load (according to the specs listed on the GG site). It is some of the features (amount of pockets, hip belt widths and method of closure) that vary and of course the actual material (silnylon vs dyneema) that the packs are made of that differ. Then of course the weights (8.8 oz s 14.3 oz) which are to be expected simply due to the materials.

I think that I would go with the Murmur if I were trying to choose between these 2 packs simply due to the near 6 oz weight savings. However, I am not scaling rocks and putting my pack in some rough spots, instead, while I do use my gear, I do not abuse it and it sees lots of good trail use with some occasional scrapes from branches or what-not. So the Murmur would fit my needs more accurately. If I wanted a more bomb proof pack, then the Kumo would be a better consideration... Although, I am sure that some things can be removed from the Kumo to get the weight a little lower on the Kumo, so it would be interesting to see what can be removed and what the weight can be dropped down to...

I am not to sure that I like the zippered pocket on the top of the Kumo (I like to stick to K.I.S.S. ~ that zipper is one more thing that could potentially fail...) And I am not sure what is up with the slanted front pocket. I am curious as to why they slanted it like that...I am not sure what the benefit of that would be...

I really do like the overall look of the Murmur though. It looks sleek and I really like the looks of the top flap. The Murmur in this dyneema material would be pretty nice. (And I mean the Murmur, not the Kumo...leave out the extra pockets, the wider hip belt, the hydration sleeve, etc...and make the front pocket straight across...the Murmur.)

Anyway, I will be curious to see what some of the Trail Ambassadors will say about them...surely they will have some reviews out soon...

Edited by Stick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I noticed that slanted front pocket as well, maybe it might offer a blend between storage capacity and ease of access? If nothing else, it certainly adds to the aesthetics. :D I can see the side bungee system being of use at times and there is definitely a strong resemblance to the Murmur. Without handling one in person, the pack looks to be really well constructed - Very clean lines. I'm also reminded a bit of the MLD Burn which is lighter and is listed as having an additional 100 cubic inches of storage, (2300 for the Burn vs. 2200 for the Kumo) but from what I can tell MLD includes the side pockets in this calculation whereas Gossamer Gear does not.

Good catch on them not listing the side pockets...I would assume though that the pockets are somewhere between 75 - 100 cu in each maybe.

tmountainnut

its definitely an interesting looking pack, and a bit lighter than my Golite peak that i use. i got my peak new at the direct store for $50 w/tax, so i guess i can't beat that for price vs. weight.

the diagonal front pocket gives it a very different look, and i wonder what the point of the lid is. i think if you got rid of the lid you'd loose a little more weight without loosing any function, but that's being nit-picky.

I am going to say that the point of the lid is both for extra protection to keep water from getting in, but more importantly so, for vertical compression, which looks like it would work great! I think that it would be worth having if all it is, is simply a flap. But when zippered pockets or what-nots are added to it, then it starts to become a bit excessive. The top lid on the Murmur looks perfect simply because all it is, is just a flap.

tmountainnut

since it made of Dyneema, i don't think it would really help with water resistance. i guess it is useful for vertical compression, but my golite just has a thin strap that accomplishes that. again, its being nit-picky, but i would loose the flap.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Price vs. weight is always an important issue. That's one thing I love about the REI Flash 18 - It's hard to beat what you get from that pack at $35. But water bottle side pockets and an external kangaroo style pocket are nice features to have when extending your trip past just a day trip or overnighter.