Gossamer Gear Kumo Superlight Backpack

Aaron Zagrodnick

I agree, being made of dyneema would not make it the best choice for water resistance, however, anything extra over the top opening will indeed decrease the likeliness of water getting into the pack through the opening in the case of a rain. (Being dunked underwater is another issue.) Of course, this is also why I like to use a pack cover as well as a liner. For those of us in areas that get a lot of rain, it is always nice to pull items out of the pack that are still dry when everything else around us is saturated! Maybe if this flap were done in something like cuben fiber, or silnylon (for a less expensive option)...

As far as the compression system, I too have a number of packs that use either a small strap across the top or just the small cord from the cinch top closure that folds over the top to a point near the bottom of the pack to create the vertical compression. This does work, especially considering I like to let the contents of my pack expand to fill the pack (which is recommended over trying to ball everything up inside and then compress the pack down around the items). But, I will admit that the older (bigger/heavier) packs that I have used that featured floating lids did a much better job with the vertical compression. For this reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that the lid on the Kumo will also offer better vertical compression...just my take on it... But, hey, if the strap/cord system works well enough...why fix it huh? (I certainly still love my packs!)

Aaron, I have wanted to (and almost have a few times) picked up one of those Flash 18's. I figure an outer front pocket and even side pockets may be fairly easy to add, and considering the packs cost, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it came out less than perfect. :)

tmountainnut

yeah, i love the flash 18's too. i picked up an old flash UL (original flash 18) for $5 at one of the rei garage sales years ago, and its still in great shape, modified to reduce the weight down to ~5 oz for using as a stuff sack/ peak bag in the mountains. i also have an older flash 18 that i use on day hikes and daily for a school bag. they are so simple and the material is just thick enough that there's really nothing that will ruin them.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

$5 is definitely a steal for that pack! Unfortunately I'm in the same shoes as Stick; the closest REI is about 5 hours away. So while I'm not lucky enough to hit up the garage sales very often anymore, I can still rely on USPS. :)

In my experience, I've found the 210d Dyneema gridstop fabric to actually be quite waterproof. I find that on Dyneema packs water getting in through the seams is where I have to worry. However, it looks like Gossamer Gear is using a new 140d gridstop on the Kumo, so it would be interesting to test this thinner fabric and see how it performs compared to the thicker 210d so far as waterproofing / resistance is concerned.

"Built on the Murmur platform but contructed largely of our custom 140 denier Dyneema GGridstop™ nylon the Kumo is tougher and has more features than its lighter parent."

Edited by Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this thread is about the Kumo, however, the new Gorilla looks like it resembles the new Kumo alot. Then, after seeing some more pictures of the Gorilla over on BPL the top flap is different from what I expected. It looks like the flap is not really a flap, but really just the back wall of the extension collar, although it does extend a couple of inches farther than the extension collar. But, it is not an extra piece of material like I was imagining. However, since it does have a pocket on it, I guess in a way it is an extra flap, it is just integrated into the extension collar...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Stick,

Interesting insight regarding the flap design. While I don't have one, the Gorilla looks like it might be a great pack to fill the void between the ULA Circuit that I'm using for longer trips and the smaller packs that I might use on an overnighter. (Of course, the ULA Ohm looks like it would also be a great choice for that role) I like the simplicity of having just 2 packs to choose from for all of my trips but with the lineup that Gossamer Gear is offering I might have to reconsider. :D I really like the looks of the 2012 Murmur as well.

Edited by Aaron

I hear ya, although I have 3 packs I choose from. My ULA Circuit (36 oz) is my heavy hauler, then for a typical hike I use my ZPacks Blast 30 (8.6 oz). Then for my really light summer loads I will use the ZPacks Zero (4 oz)! But I agree, the new Gorilla looks pretty sharp! As well, the GoLite Jams are on sale for next to nothing right now (through Wednesday I think).