BP'ing Spring In Utah

SPAC3MAN

Hi all! A friend and I are planning on flying out next spring to backpack in UT. We're both experienced backpackers, but east coast mountains are our stomping grounds (WV). Could I please get some advice for the greatest bang for the buck? We want to spend about a week camping in April, but would prefer to stay where its pleasant (above 20°F). It seems like southern UT is the best option, but I'm still trying to figure out the best location to fly to, and then get to wherever. I am open minded to any options!

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

• 3 months later...

Ok all, plans have changed a bit. The trip has bumped to late July, we want to hike the Uintas Highline Trail (East-toWest). I'll be flying out to Salt Lake City in late July, and hanging out there and Vernal, UT just to acclimatize a bit. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do for recreation in either of these places?I am also open to any advice or additional information on hiking the Highline... My wife and I are planning on spending about 7-10 days on the trail, leaving plenty of time to soak everything in... So far the plan is to bus it from Salt Lake City to Vernal, and cab/bus it from Vernal to the Leidy Peak Trailhead. I'm planning on hiking east to west, and finishing at Mirror Lake.

Thank you in advance for your time and ideas!!!

Ok all, plans have changed a bit. The trip has bumped to late July, we want to hike the Uintas Highline Trail (East-toWest). I'll be flying out to Salt Lake City in late July, and hanging out there and Vernal, UT just to acclimatize a bit. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do for recreation in either of these places?I am also open to any advice or additional information on hiking the Highline... My wife and I are planning on spending about 7-10 days on the trail, leaving plenty of time to soak everything in... So far the plan is to bus it from Salt Lake City to Vernal, and cab/bus it from Vernal to the Leidy Peak Trailhead. I'm planning on hiking east to west, and finishing at Mirror Lake.

Thank you in advance for your time and ideas!!!

First off, i'm surprised a cab would take you to Leidy peak TH. its quite a ways out there.

If you want to shorten the cab ride, and give yourself a little more acclimation time on the trail, you can start at the HWY 191 trailhead (40.789510, -109.470994) and probably make your cab ride a lot cheaper too. It probably be pretty easy to hitchhike to that spot too if needed. Then you'll be starting out at 8200' instead of 10800'. It does add about 20 miles to the trail, but its easier terrain at a little lower elevation. Pmags wrote up that portion here - http://www.pmags.com/east-to-west-uinta-highline-trail. I personally didn't hike that portion of the trail, but i plan on going out there and finishing it up one of these days.

As far as recreation in vernal, there are some nice areas to hike in dinosaur national monument, and the flaming gorge area is also really nice. However, if you are just wanting to acclimatize, i would say starting on trail and take it easy for the first day. After that, you'll be fine, especially if you only do 10ish miles a day. In Salt lake/Park city area, there are tons of outdoor activities, as well as just seeing Salt lake and Park City too. I haven't done much in salt lake city, so i can't comment on anything specifically there.

-Ted