Sharp Things and TSA

ADKinLA

I am thinking about travelling to locations for camping/hiking adventures and would like to take my knives, multitools, hiking poles, pointy pointy objects with me. I know that earlier this year TSA backtracked on easing restrictions for some of this stuff so say I was going to fly to Utah, Canada or wherever, what is the best way to move this stuff with me (shipping them, is there a way to check them, buy them there, etc.)? Thanks!

I am thinking about travelling to locations for camping/hiking adventures and would like to take my knives, multitools, hiking poles, pointy pointy objects with me. I know that earlier this year TSA backtracked on easing restrictions for some of this stuff so say I was going to fly to Utah, Canada or wherever, what is the best way to move this stuff with me (shipping them, is there a way to check them, buy them there, etc.)? Thanks!

Trekking poles shouldn't be an issue, and neither should tent stakes (i have brought them through the screeners before without an issue). knifes/multi tools have to be checked. I was able to sneak a really small victorinox classic through once when i forgot to check it on accident, but i am not condoning it. Considering its a non-locker ~1" blade, i don't think it should be an issue, but there are lots of crazies out there.

You might run into an issue crossing borders with them, but most sharp items have to be in checked luggage, not carry-on. If they are, I don't think it would be a problem. Hiking poles aren't very sharp, but some customs guys can get antsy about things if they don't understand what they are. Maybe pack them in checked luggage, too.

Alternatively, if you have a local contact, you could send them by mail within the US and pick them up when you get there, but you might lose them if shipped across borders.

Where you could have a problem is with stoves and fuel (not allowed), and with things like bear spray.

Edited by Peter