Breathable Waterproof jacket - fast paced hiking/humid environment

JakeyJ

Hi Guys,

I’d welcome some advice!

I live in the South of Portugal where I try to stay pretty fit including a lot of fast-paced hiking. 

It’s been an extremely bad winter for rain & likely to extend like this into the new year & I’m looking for a jacket that is very waterproof, breathable & lightweight that performs in heavy rain & quite humid conditions. 

So far, a lot of the jackets that I have had are full of condensation within minutes, soaking the wicking layers, so breathability/ventilation is absolutely key.

I like the look of the ARC'TERYX - Zeta SL but it’s lack of pit zips concerns me for steaming up. Does anyone have any recommendations? Note: it’s a pretty mild climate here even in mid-winter so heat retention is really not important.

Budget €200-€300.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers,

Jake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Michael aka Mac

I use jackets with ventilation zippers . If working up a sweat start unzipping the arm pit vents or side vents and this usually solves that problem Your wicking underlayers push the water outwards and this type of jacket does the rest

• 5 months later...
Michael aka Mac

I am not sure why but my previous thread is missing over a paragraph of content..

There are a lot of rain jackets out there on the market that are highly recommended, personally I do not own any of them.   When it comes to rainy weather I use my Kayaking jackets. These jackets are waterproof, breathable, have vent zips, and the neck, waist, and wrists are designed to prevent water from creeping in.  I find this particularly valuable when I am doing anything that requires me to have my arms in the air or above my head, where usually rain jackets would allow water to seep into the wrist area, or down ones neck.

All of my kayaking and touring jackets are from NRS.  

https://www.rei.com/product/814152/nrs-sea-tour-jacket-mens

NRS Powerhouse  and their Endurance jackets.

For rain pants I use the kokatat dry pants with built in waterproof socks.

These tend to be more expensive then regular rain jackets and pants, but since I am also a kayaker,  I could kill 2 birds with one stone by using these for both paddling and hiking/camping. 

In serious rain day after day you are going to get wet.   If you use waterproof type rain wear then you will get wet from the inside in your own sweat.  There are many remedies.   All will work, sort of. 

I used to work in the bush a lot, coastal Alaska, the Rockies with summer thunderstorms.   In warmer weather I gave up on rain gear.  I wore Filsons in Alaska.   In the mountains in summer,  I would bring a plastic garbage bag for a vest and just wear a fleece or wool garment under it. 

Alright Guys, it was me that posted originally & as you guys are still responding, I thought I would!

I ended up buying an Outdoor Research Foray & have been really impressed with it.

The pit zips & controlling the temperature seems to be critical to these jackets working & this one completely opens up dumping the hot sweaty air out. Ive actually just washed it (tech wash) & reproofed it (nikwax) & it's as good as new.

I'm sure that there are better options but for the cash, i'm pretty happy with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Foray's hem to bicep venting,  adjustable velcro(hook&loop cuffs), and hem draw cord  as mechanical venting/warmth conservation  features. Do the pockets have inner flow through mesh so one can open the pockets and dump some heat? 

Have you tried the tech wash followed up by Grangers Repel Performance Repel Plus or Wash & Repel  2in 1?

On 2/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, Dogwood said:

I like the Foray's hem to bicep venting,  adjustable velcro(hook&loop cuffs), and hem draw cord  as mechanical venting/warmth conservation  features. Do the pockets have inner flow through mesh so one can open the pockets and dump some heat? 

Have you tried the tech wash followed up by Grangers Repel Performance Repel Plus or Wash & Repel  2in 1?

Hey mate, yes, the pockets have mesh. The thing basically opens up as a poncho, it dumps the heat fast. For the proofing, I used the TX Direct Spray on - hung the jacket outside after washing on a stuffed hanger & used half the bottle on it. After, I let it dry in the sun & tested it. I poured a bottle of water into it, using it like a bowl & none came through. Honestly, after reading some of the reviews of the spray, I can only assume that people are doing something wrong. Haven't tried the wash in sprays, i dont like the idea of the inside being coated - its supposed to breathable.