Issue 49 Released

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Issue 49 of TrailGroove Magazine is now available! Click the preceding link or the cover below to take a look:

TrailGroove Backpacking and Hiking Magazine - Issue 49.jpg

In This Issue:

Jargon: Ice-In and Out

Trail News

Trail Tip: Winter Cabin Camping

The Pioneer Mountains

The Bighorn Mountains

Salomon Odyssey Mid GTX Review

Gear Mash

The Healthy Food Bag

Granite and Gold: Hiking the JMT

122 pages dedicated to backpacking and hiking. Special thanks to all of our readers and contributors for your support and contributions towards the latest issue! If it's your first time viewing the magazine, we suggest starting on Page 1 for online viewing tips and tricks. Prefer to view the magazine in high definition or save it and view it offline? Our HD PDF is also available individually or included with a Premium Membership. Your input is highly appreciated. Let us know what you thought about Issue 49 here on the TrailGroove Forum, or contact us anytime. Thanks for reading and keep an eye out for Issue 50, due out early spring.

In the Editor's Note you write about your experience hiking an off trail route and finding a valley which was not on the map and puzzling about the missing valley.

Have you tried using Google Earth to view the terrain and elevation and compare it to the map, to determine what went wrong?  

I frequently use Google Earth and/or Google Maps to view the hike, I am planning, to view from the sky what the trail or off trail route looks like.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for reading and yep, Google Earth and various satellite views are definitely tools I use at home and even on the trail at times - and was how I ended up finding that mis-mapped river (even though that's also mapped wrong on Google Earth along with the USGS topos, but the real location is obvious enough on the satellite view). Whether it's something like this or just terrain that's too fine to be mapped - like smaller cliff bands that show as flat in Google Earth, sometimes you just have to head out there and see for yourself. :)