Cell Phone receives SAT signals like a Garmin eTrex?

Desert63

I was an early adopter of GPS’s 20ish years ago, but now have not used one for over 10 years.  I was on a forum for Garmin eTrex and an apparently tenured hiker said something that confused me to no end.  He said that he returned his Garmin and just bought a cell phone with no plan since it picks up all the SATs??? Is this true?  Then he just used GAIA, and got the best of all worlds?   Does a cell phone pick up SATs just like a Garmin – this does not sound right to me at all?  I have a difficult route-finding hike coming up and need to reinvent in a GPS, is why I ask.  Certainly if I could use my cell and GAIA or the like, that would be ideal.  Thank you!

Scott

Thanks Aaron!  This is great to hear, but I am still surprised.  I suppose I am just thinking from a couple of decades ago.  Certainly my cell phone with an extra battery pack would be ideal for multiple reasons.  I started using GAIA yesterday for the 1st time and was quite impressed.  Knowing this could be my solution I will invest in a membership.  I am going to read your article now.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

GPS Test from the google play store for my Android, that is what I needed.  Now I see all the satellites and can test the accuracy of my device.

Aaron,

Per the article - Does the premium subscription to TrailGroove still include the premium subscription to Gaia also?

Thanks

Scott

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Scott,

Yep, a free 1 year Gaia Premium Subscription is included with TrailGroove Premium (if / after you've signed up you can find that here) and (TrailGroove) Premium includes everything else listed here: