What brand and size of backpack

Tammy

Need some help please. My husband and I have never backpacked, we plan on doing so in Ecuador. We need some guidance on what brand of pack and what size. We will be staying at cabins or house rentals but we plan on carrying backpacks instead of luggage since we will be traveling by public transportation. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Need some help please. My husband and I have never backpacked, we plan on doing so in Ecuador. We need some guidance on what brand of pack and what size. We will be staying at cabins or house rentals but we plan on carrying backpacks instead of luggage since we will be traveling by public transportation. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You're best bet is to go to a store, weigh the pack down with what your normal pack weight will be, and try them on until you find one that fits best. look for gaps between your back and your pack near the shoulders, and where the hipbelt fits. look for a pack under 3 lbs, which will give you lots of options.

I personally switched over to the osprey exos 46 pack, however they have a newer version coming out this spring with a slightly different suspension and padding, so i would look for the newer version if you can.

there are some really nice packs (MLD, six moons, ULA) that aren't really sold in stores. In that case, get your torso measurement and waist size. Any decent backpacking store can get this easily, and ULA has an "interesting" video showing you how to do this on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, nothing beats Mountainsmith as the best brand for quality and lightweight. Size is determined by the number of traveling days and the amount and type of gear you plan to carry which is very much an individual decision

Rick-Pittsburgh

First and foremost if using the pack for traveling(instead of luggage) I would NOT look at UL models for one simple reason.

You will find that the people handling your luggage are not and will not be as gentle with it as you may be.

I found this out from not only my own experiences but also that of many others I know who travel quite a bit on various climbs throughout the world.

Porters can also be hard on gear as well.

I have an Exos as well but the durability of that model is nowhere near as stout as that of my Argon or Xenith packs and if traveling these are my go-to packs.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Also, and a very big also at that to add to the above post in regards to being fitted get what gear and belongings you will be toting 1st then get the right capacity pack to fit your gear and do not try to get gear to fit your pack.

You will find this approach much easier.

I will not suggest manufacturers or models due to the fact that manufacturers utilize different geometry when designing their packs/models and what may fit me well may not fit you.

It is somewhat like suggesting footwear.

I am in the La Sportiva camp(multiple pairs.) While they fit my foot structure in regards to volume & bone structure I know many that cannot wear them.

Edited by Rick-Pittsburgh

• 3 months later...
The Mighty Rogue

I echo what the other posters have said... really need to go to an outfitter and find something that fits your torso or you may find yourself in a fair amount of discomfort when lugging your pack(s) around. However, since you will be using the packs as luggage you probably want to find something that is made a of heavier-duty material than some of the ultra-light offerings. It's tough to recommend brands, because every brand offers something different. I do know that Kelty, Mountainsmith, and Gregory (to name a few) make some solidly built packs that can take a beating, but they certainly are not the lightest of options.

I used a Gregory Reality when I backpacked around Ireland in Scotland in 2004 for a month and it escaped without a scratch.