Powdered Peanut Butter

jeepingetowah

jeepingetowah

This product has been around for a while. Many people here might have seen it, used it, or thought that they might want to experiment with it. I have not opened it yet. I just bought it at the store tonight because I could not resist anymore.

What are your recipe ideas? Is this a good product? Has anyone out there tried this? What was your favorite use for it?

We are heading into the backcountry the first weekend of March, and I thought I would see what ideas folks might have for this product. Here are some of the ideas I have at this time:

*Oatmeal - my trail staple for breakfast

*Pancakes - using the One Egg Wonder

*Muffins/Cakes/Scone - I use steam baking and vegetable bags from the produce section

*No cook cheesecake - trail dessert

*Peanut Butter Tacos - mix with water (or oil) and spread on tortillas; add jelly if desired

I am very excited to try the product. I will report back once I have had a chance to test it out!

Website is here - - - > http://www.bellplantation.com/

Wallace

SupaChef

post-20-143508718324_thumb.jpg

post-20-143508718337_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeepingetowah

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Regular peanut butter always makes it into my food bag, definitely a staple for adding calories to meals or just by itself. Haven't had a chance to try this...looks like it has a lot less calories even at the same weight as regular PB but I could see where this could be useful for recipes, freezer bag cooking, etc...Let us know how it works out!

I sometimes take it to the trail. There's a chocolate powdered PB2 version as well. It's basically PB that has had a good amt of it's fat content removed and, for all practical purposes, all of its sat fat compared to reg PB.

Reg PB gets about 68% of it's total calories from fat while powdered PB2 gets about 29% of its total calories from fat.

I say be careful what you think of as reg PB though. Much of it now has hydrogenated oil added to it. If you do opt for reg PB lok for varieties that do not have hydrogenated oil. Your body will appreciate not having to contend with the potential negative side affects of this not found in nature designed in a food science laboratory man made ingredient.

Some backpackers, especially ULers(I'm one!, who seek to reduce their trail food wt, maintain high daily trail caloric needs, want much fat in their trail diets, etc) look at reduced fat powdered PB2 as a negative thinking of it only from the perspective of its much reduced fat cals as a percentage of total cals or cal/oz ratios. They tend to perceive PB only from the perspective of it as a readily available high cal/oz ratio source and possibly offering some protein. Every single trail food ingredient does not have to be high in fat content. We already abide by this as backpackers but we forget that when it comes to PB because we are used to perceiving PB mainly in terms of its high fat content. IMHO, a better approach that might be worthy of consideration - IF IT'S A BACKPACKER'S GOAL TO MINIMIZE TRAIL FOOD WT - is to aim for an AVERAGE high cal/oz ratio by looking at their trail food in its entirety. Some backpackers already do this! We take things like packets of tuna, some types of snacks, some candies, some types of "junk" foods, pastas, grains, tortillas, bagels, etc to the trail and they CAN have rather moderate to lower cal/oz ratios than PB2 yet we hear of no one mentioning their cal/oz ratios! There are plenty of high cals/oz ratio foods readily available at even the smallest of grocery stores though IF WE THINK ABOUT IT. It's about balancing the ingredients out.

If one wants to tweak the flavoring of PB while adding the fat back in consider reconstituting PB2 with Tahini(Sesame Paste), coconut powder or oil, a dried whole fat powdered milk(cow, goat, soy(vanilla soy powder), whey protein isolate, olive oil, a different nut butter, ghee, butter(dried, solid or liquid), mixing some coconut flake into the reconstituted PB2, etc

RenegadePilgrim

I put it in my oatmeal. It's super tasty, but they get all the fat out of this in order to have it in powder form, so it's more for taste than calories for me.

I've used it plenty. Good taste, and you can stir in a little Crisco for fat and mouth feel. Pick some peanuts out of your GORP to make it crunchy. Makes a good Thai-style sauce, too.

Bigsilk, that's one of the things I do when I'm concerned about packaging, potential mess, or odors of reg PB. I pre mix PB2 with dried coconut milk powder, chives(green onions), a pinch of red pepper flakes, and pinch of sesame seeds. I add that to Buckwheat Noodles. I often add some EVOO into the pre mix to up the cals/oz ratios to reconstitute. I eat warm or cold similar to Cold Sesame Noodles one can get from Fast Food Chinese Restaurants. However, I'm not using Tahini(Sesame Paste) over the noodles. I also like using Buckwheat noodles because they are gluten free although Ramen could be used instead.

Justines offers PB and other nut butters(almond -delish!, hazlenut chocolate) fully constituted in trail convenient 1.15 oz packets. Justins dark chocolate PB Cups are da bomb. http://justins.com/our-products/

One might consider rather light wt soft sided squeezable GoToobs for repackaging reg constituted PB and other nut butters for trail use. They have a tight fitting screwable cap and wide opening. I don't know if that sounded right.

http://www.rei.com/product/796288/humangear-gotoob-bottle-3-fl-oz

• 4 months later...
Bobo Uzala

Dogwood - I was perusing this thread and you may have just given me a solution for a creamer product for coffee. I wonder how the dried coconut milk powder would taste, have you ever tried it in coffee?

Bigsilk, that's one of the things I do when I'm concerned about packaging, potential mess, or odors of reg PB. I pre mix PB2 with dried coconut milk powder, chives(green onions), a pinch of red pepper flakes, and pinch of sesame seeds. I add that to Buckwheat Noodles. I often add some EVOO into the pre mix to up the cals/oz ratios to reconstitute. I eat warm or cold similar to Cold Sesame Noodles one can get from Fast Food Chinese Restaurants. However, I'm not using Tahini(Sesame Paste) over the noodles. I also like using Buckwheat noodles because they are gluten free although Ramen could be used instead.

Justines offers PB and other nut butters(almond -delish!, hazlenut chocolate) fully constituted in trail convenient 1.15 oz packets. Justins dark chocolate PB Cups are da bomb. http://justins.com/our-products/

One might consider rather light wt soft sided squeezable GoToobs for repackaging reg constituted PB and other nut butters for trail use. They have a tight fitting screwable cap and wide opening. I don't know if that sounded right.

http://www.rei.com/product/796288/humangear-gotoob-bottle-3-fl-oz

• 1 month later...

I've only tried a few brands of coconut milk powder and only one, which had other ingredients in it, in my regular coffee. I would say it's an acquired taste just as is the different varieties of cow's milk or goat's milk are acquired tastes. If I was to put coconut milk in my coffee it would be a liquid no sugar added coconut milk with nothing or little else. Be careful though. Coconut cream and coconut milk are viewed as different products. There are also other coconut products like dried coconut water, creamed coconut(from what I can tell is NOT the same as coconut cream), etc http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-coconut-m-75446 With the powdered coconut milk product I tried in my coffee I would say my coffee turned out less creamy than had I use Half and Half made from cow's milk. Coconut cream, of which I haven't tried by itself in powdered form, might be differently experienced in coffee though. I might try this in my coffee though. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/coconut-milk-powder